Horizon in MSP?

justmeinmsp

Total Time
I saw a Horizon CRJ in MSP today (3-15). Are they flying to MSP on a schedule or was it something else, like a charter? Anyone know?

JJJ

Total Time
It's Horizon flying Frontier Jet Express out of DEN.

tomdav

Total Time
msp

Was it in Horizon colors or Frontier? I thought that there would be no swaping of A/C to cover schedules.

JJJ

Total Time
Must have been an A/C swap or something due to MX. Can't think of any other reason there would be a QX painted RJ in MSP.

cl-65link

Total Time
I saw one a few weeks ago, and it had an animal on the tail, definately Frontier.

wxwatcher

Total Time
many
Radio installed for Horizon a few weeks ago. Guess that means they are expecting to be around here.

Southbound

Total Time
To answer, yes, it is a flight operated by QX for Frontier as JetExpress to Denver. All the flight numbers in the 4000's are F9 flights. They are allowed to interchange QX airplanes and F9 painted airplanes as needed. Last week there was a jet with Rocky the Racoon on the tail that flew for the Horizon side of the house from BOI-SJC.

Sioux115

Regional BEEOTCH!
Total Time
0<
Q400's

Talking about Horizon in MSP. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a senior Horizon cpt. He said there have been talks about putting the Q400s in MSP flying for NWA. Especially when Mesaba was going to strike. Anyone else here about this?:confused:

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
Total Time
+13000
That would create a conflict of interest for their pilots and since they are the industry leaders of the feeders, we can sleep better knowing they will continue demonstrate the highest professional standards.

JJJ

Total Time
More information from a "senior captain" ;)

At the most it could replace some avro routes, but why would they put a 70 seat airplane on routes that only support 33 seat Saabs? It was probably just another rumor.

tomdav

Total Time
rumor

This one came out during mesabas contract neg. . I little leverage for managment I think.

ILStoMinimums

Total Time
Isn't QX short on Q400's? How could they justify NWA flying? Wouldn't they need a load more of -400's?

Q200_FO

What, No booze?!?
Total Time
Isn't QX short on Q400's? How could they justify NWA flying? Wouldn't they need a load more of -400's?
Yes, and there was a rumor on the line for a while that said that we just bought 15 more Q400's. But management squashed it.

ILStoMinimums

Total Time
Q200_FO said:
Yes, and there was a rumor on the line for a while that said that we just bought 15 more Q400's. But management squashed it.
Thats sure a shame - maybe they don't want to take on more than they can handle? (F9, etc)

Wanderer

Total Time
yes
JJJ said:
More information from a "senior captain" ;)

At the most it could replace some avro routes, but why would they put a 70 seat airplane on routes that only support 33 seat Saabs? It was probably just another rumor.
Must be a rumor. NWA's pilot scope clause says that all regionals must be 50 seats and under with the exception being the 36 69-seat AVROs.

justmeinmsp

Total Time
Actually, NW scope defines a "regional jet" as a turbo jet powered aircraft with 45 seats or more. A turbo jet with 44 seats or less is not even considered a "regional jet" under the scope clause.

CWASaab

Well... Not anymore
Total Time
enough
Pure rumor.

Mesaba's Airlink Agreement with Northwest provides for Mesaba being the exclusive Turbo-prop feed in MSP and DTW, for at least a few more years.

Additionally, the NWALPA contract addresses Alaska/Horizon specifically and states that their flights that carry the NW code basically have to originate or terminate in SEA, PDX and possibly BOI (can't remember off-hand).

Bottom line, plenty of paper work, some of which is out of the hands of NW management, would have to be changed for Horizon to set up shop in MSP with the NW code.

CWASaab