Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptBuzzard

I'm back!
Maybe some Horizon pilots can add some insight.

I heard from some Horizon pilots that I know that they are going to start recalling their furloughed pilots this summer and hope to have them all back by November. I also heard rumors of another delivery of the 400's and possible expansion out of Los Angeles. Is any of this close to being true? Any chance of hiring again after everyone is recalled?

Thanks,

Captbuzzard

I'm a furloughed horizon pilot so I haven't heard all the rumors, but I did hear that bombardier was try to get us take on 5 more 400's. I believe this would bring back all the furloughed guys.

Hey qx fo, I'm in the pool at Horizon, just wanted to know if theres a chance of getting a class date later this year. Have you heard anything? Thanks.

The furloughs stopped at 49. Originally they had planned on furloughing 72 and none of the 49 have been called back. There maybe a chance of hiring this year if we take on some more aircraft. If they don't get these extra 400's I don't see them hiring until summer of 2003. I hope everthing works out for you alaska.

Horizon

CaptBuzzard,
All the rumors in the original post are just that. Rumors. It would not surprise us if after we get our next round of CRJ deliveries, there is a new base. Where the base will be remains to be seen. The CEO just finished his "roadshow", state of the union type presentation at different outstations. He mentioned a base somewhere south to compliment Alaska somewhere. Who knows. It is all just talk at the moment. He also said there were no plans to get more 400's but I just heard from a FAB agent who heard it from a ramper who's cousin works in dispatch that we will get even more mega-whackers. Get my drift. Who knows.

As far as hiring anytime this year, it won't happen. Mgmnt has said that. Training at it's max capacity only trains about 12 pilots every 5 week bid period. From the time we begin recalling (no work on when that will be yet) it will take at least 4 bids (20 weeks) to get everyone back in the saddle.

Keep applying (not just at Horizon but at all solid companies), building PIC time, turbine time, and it will all work out. Horizon is a good solid company but if you want growth and upgrade and don't have to live in Portland there are better places to be.
Any questions I'd be happy to help.
Suerte...

Southbound:

What's a "Mega-Whacker?"

How's the current morale amongst the pilots there at Horizon? :confused:

Mega-Whacker

Yeti:
Just don't let the boys in Oklahoma City know you're flying around without your mega-whacker endorsement. Definite enforcement action.

Latest resources

Back