Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

I'm furloughed, and working part-time as a substitute teacher.

I could use some interesting posts.

If you know of a high-time pilot in a certain category, let us know and we'll see what interesting stories we can come up with.

Highest Time Pilot:
In UPT-H (AF initial pilot training for helos) I flew a TH-55 (a Hughes 300). The IPs (instructors) were ex-Army helo guys that were 150+ years old, and deaf, of course. My instructor had about 24,000 hours. The highest time IP was about 68? years old and had 48,000 hours!!! I think he was the Wright Bros IP!!!

Highest Time Regional FO:
I just went through J41 groundschool with TSA. There was an FO there with 7000+ hours, including a bunch of jet time (almost no PIC hours). He was kind of an annoying know-it-all, but it was helpful because he did know-it-all, so he could answer the questions when the class instructor was stumped.

Highest Time local Instructor:
I flew once with a female instructor with about 12,400 hours. She only instructs part-time, does A LOT of -135 flying in the GRB area. She was the best civilian instructor I've had, and one of the best, overall.

Weird categories:

Highest Time PIC for a Non-Pilot flying solo with a dead body in the left seat:
I read an accident report about an older wife, who never flew (except riding with her husband), who took the controls when her hubby died enroute. With the help of ATC, and some other flying pilots, she flew the plane for 6.5? hours solo, without an autopilot, with her dead husband's body sitting next to her, until she did a controlled crash into some trees near an airfield. The plane was totalled, but she walked away!

Highest Time for a Weightless Dog:
Our dog, Zephyr (my dad used to work for the Burlington Route RR) flew with us on occasion. I remember once she was in the back (Piper 235-now called a Dakota), and my dad and I were up front. We did some roller-coaster manuevers, and at the top, pushing over, we would go <1G. Poor old Zephyr would float up above the back seat, flail her legs helplessly, and howl. Her max weightless time was about 4 seconds. After a couple of these manuevers, we ceased and desisted, and didn't do anying other than straight and level with her again.
Note: I was in high school, and not licensed in any way, so any SPCA folks can complain to my dad, who was the licensed pilot.

I'm sure you guys/gals can surpass these numbers, and add categories of your own! Post us something interesting to read so we can forget about our furlough cares for a while!

Cliff
GB,WI

I know a guy who has survived no less than three tail rotor shaft failures. I'd be willing to bet he's had more of those than anyone on the planet.

That would be in addition to the twenty other off airport landings he's made.

Dan

The things I learn on this board...thanks for the laughs. (I really like the bit about the dead body...)

Ravengirl

I once met a gentleman, about ten years ago at a QB meeting that had 60,000 hours. He looked about sixty or so, and his job was flying some kind of recon or refueling in the Air Force. He would stay up for hours just waiting for whatever mission he was on, so the hours came pretty quickly. I don't know if he continued to fly after that, so he may have even more. He won the most hours contest at the meeting.

I took my commercial flight test with a DE out of VNY named Adam Berg. He must be pushing 80 years old but still gives checkrides.He was a dive bomb pilot during WWII and flew privately after the war. Quite a talkative fellow but very interesting none the less. He had a habit of doing most of the flying during your checkrides (to show you his way) and once while doing a maneuver a buddy of his flew nearby and he recognized the aircraft and proceded to get us in an aerial dog fight. But one of the most memorable flights I had with a high timer came when I was flying C402's for a charter company in SoCal. I had to take a group of 4 from HHR to Death Valley. The organizer asked if it was ok ,if her dad could fly up front in the right seat. She explained he would be no bother and was in fact an ex military retired pilot. I agreed and when time came for departure this older man approached me and told me he was so and so's father. I put him up front and off we went. I got a clearance through the LAX class B and was on a direct route from Santa Monica to Palmdale when I started talking to the ex pilot. He was marveling at how big LA has gotten since he last flew. Then near Palmdale ATC came over and said the restricted area just went cold and I could proceed direct if I liked. While over Edwards Airforce Base the ex pilot asks me if that was Murock Field below us. I took another peak knowing we were over Edwards AFB and stated no . He looked out again and said that it sure looked an awful bit like Murock Field. Once again I looked out and told him that we were flying over Edwards AFB. He then looked at me and said that they just changed the name. I didn't know how to react,after all I've always known it to be Edwards AFB. It was then when he said they changed the nameback in 1947.As I was thinking to myself he started telling me about his flying days. He flew P-38's out of North Africa into Italy. Also he could recall a drunk ass Sergeant that managed to pull himself up by the bootstraps by the name of Chuck Yeager. By this time the course was set and Otto in control and I was all ears. History was a bit different coming out of this gentleman's mouth, but I believe he was pretty accurate. That was one of my most memorable flights. And after landing back home he thanked me and said he could still fly, but the radio work was very different than he was used to.

Mr.Ed Long

Several years ago I Flew a Caravan into Mgm Alabama and also had the pleasure of meeting Ed Long.He autographed my logbook,andas of 10-09-07 hadover 64000 hrs.He was still flying powerline patrol in his Super Cub.He also had a plaque certifying him as the world record holder.He flew several more years and I doubt his record will ever be broken.

Hey hawkerjet

I took my private checkride with Adam Berg in 1988. I sat down, told him I wanted to join the Navy, and had a fun 3 hours. He was a hoot!!!

Latest resources

Back