high or low:what do you think?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

I'm starting to work on my private in about a month. Should I go with a high wing or a low wing trainer? Its probably going to be either a 172 for the high wing and a 2001 Alarus for the low wing.

My vote, the 172. (or whatever is cheaper to rent)

A plane's a plane, altough you will probably find you prefer one over the other (I for instance love low wings and hate flying most high wings). Why not try one of each, and see which you like best.

Definitely the high wing. The view is much better. You won't be able to see as much in a low wing. If you plan on making a career out of flying, you'll get your chance in a low wing.

I think high wing airplanes make better trainers, and like flyboy said, if you fly long enough, you will get an opportunity to fly low wing aircraft.

If I recall, you'll be near HOT'Lanta. The high wing is the plane for you. Easy to fly, forgiving, good glide characteristics, great view, and the cold fuel in the wings (along with the shade) helps keep you cool.

I learned to fly in a cherokee 140 cruiser, with stubby little wings and the landing properties of a brick. I haven't flown the low wing you mentioned, but consider this: when you want to rent an airplane, the 172 is likely to be the plane that's available. Time in type is a big plus, so start now.

Back to trumpet practice. Good luck.

I vote for the high wing

I started my flight training in the low wing Traumahawk (What a joke!). I switched to the High wings and have never looked back. Go High!

High wings are slightly more stable than low wings, so you might actually build your skills faster by learning on a plane that is slightly harder to fly (and I mean slightly- low wing trainers are still very easy to fly). As far as the visibility, they're about the same, except when you are turning in a high wing, you have to momentarily roll in the opposite direction to make sure there aren't any planes there, since the wing will be hiding them.

High wing v. Low wing

It's six of one, half a dozen of another, in my .02. I did nearly all of my single-engine training in a 172. Did my CFI-A in a Cardinal. Got my high-performance (complex) signoff in an Arrow. Trained students in both high and low wing.

Whatever you like better. You may get more real-world type training in low wing, because you have to learn how to manage fuel and operate electric fuel pumps. You don't do that in a 172. I liked Piper because they were friendlier in crosswinds than Cessna.

Latest resources

Back