Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

newmei

Geez well guys help me out here

I went in to get a medical today and my BP was like 220/120 CRAZY the most its ever been, needless to say they could'nt give me my medical. They did however let me reschedule after I "calm down" because I got white coat syndrome and all nervious.....Any tips you can give me? I am early twenties and 6'3 230. I'm trying to lose weight and going to cut back on the sodium. What happens if I get high BP again? I know they can medicate me but how will this tie in with my denial? Will I have to sit out of flying for months or what?
Hope you guys can share some stories or give some advice
THANK YOU!!!!

High BP

When I first started reading your post my first thought was, define "high." Yours is/was off the charts. I've heard of people with high BP who go on medication and get their medicals. Of course, the big picture is your career. Although you might convince the FAA to issue your medical, you may have less luck with an airline.

You obviously have had medicals. What kind of BP did you have the last time(s)?

See what happens next time. Try www.leftseat.com. This site has decent medical information. Also, call AOPA if you're a member and discuss it with a counselor. AOPA offers some of the best advice on medicals around.

Yea your kidding me, I did'nt know BP went up that high, but they more they dwelled over it the more it went up then I went to walmart and checked it 2 hours later and it had come down below the limits but still HIGH.
Gonna try to go to my MD and see what the deal is.

Oh and by the way
on my last three medicals

130/80 (190 lbs) 130/80 (200 lbs) 148/80 (215 lbs)
and now severly high at (230 lbs)

No, definitely see your doctor. FAA medical notwithstanding, even at your lower weight your BP was too high for someone your age. Seriously, in my .02 opinion, it's not white coat disease. Something may be up. Get it checked out.

High BP

Even though Im in great shape (as I sit here sucking down a protein shake) I have to constantly work out and stay fit to avoid high BP because high BP runs deep in my family. My brother had to start taking BP medicine at 22 yrs old. I would suggest not just losing weight but taking on a regular exercise regimen.

To start with walk at least 25 minutes a day and eat a very "clean" diet. Foods that are low in fat, low in sodium and high in protein and drink nothing but water all day long. No sodas are other drinks. I drink 2 gallons of H20 everyday. I can almost promise you if you just follow these simple ideas you will shed some weight and lower your BP.

Any questions feel free to ask. I consider myself an expert on nutrition and exercise.

Well, I am the proud owner of a case study done in 1994 by the military concerning this very same phenomena. I have had the same problem since I started out in the military (1980) and the tech at my first duty station stated that I had high blood pressure (this was after I had just completed BT and Flight School with everything normal!). I went to the Doc and my pressure (after getting scared) was 138/88, perfectly leagle. But she said it was borderline and I went through hell (grounded for a long time due to her stupidity) and have not forgotten that since. At this very moment, I can walk by a Wall Mart machine and get nervous. Moral of the story, you are not alone. If you get nervous during a doctors visit and pressure goes up, believe me, that is normal. Just the other day I went in for unrelated things and it was 154/95, but when I take it at home it is in the high 130/70's. The trick is determining if your high blood pressure is normal or actually white coat syndrome. This can only be done really if you get a callibrated machine (whatever it might be) and take it at home when you are not under the gun. This will preclude you from being put on medication and bottoming out. Any Internal Medicine doc will have you do this before medication. I personally know individuals that have gone over 220/110 when they get in the flight surgeons office. So remember, it happens to the best of us. Good luck, I will also need it as I have a check up next month and am allready getting nervouse. See Ya!

newmei said:
Oh and by the way
on my last three medicals

130/80 (190 lbs) 130/80 (200 lbs) 148/80 (215 lbs)
and now severly high at (230 lbs)

I'd be just as concerned with putting on weight that quickly as I would with the hypertension. It's not good for your heart man! And taking it off quickly can be just as dangerous. If your pressure really is getting that high--and it's not just whitecoat syndrome--then you should really consult with your doctor BEFORE you begin an exercise regimen. You could be at serious risk for stroking out while exercising, and that, my friend, is worse than hypertension anyday.

Good luck to you.

BJJ Fighter is absolutely correct. Get on a regular excercise program that is more endurance than strength training. Excercise and watch your diet. There are many things we can eliminate from our diet and not be some crazed out diet freak. Your blood pressure will soon simmer down not only because your more healthy physically but also because exercise is a form of meditation in many ways.

You can get on the BP meds and pass the medical but in the long run you'll be better off just sticking to some type of program even if it takes a little part of your day.

newmei--->BJJ Fighter is "on the money" for advice in keeping the B.P. low. Systolic is easy to lower (the top number in the ratio) Diastolic is the most difficult (the bottom number in the ratio)...this is a long term diet issue. Exersize is good at lowering the top number...diet for the lower number. Your weight isn't bad...your 6'3"...take that into consideration. I know people that are 5'10"/250lb and are Captains in the majors.

The white coat syndrome is common. Get a Medical Examiner you can trust...with good manners. If the AME makes you nervous, find another. Ask your fellow instructors which AME they prefer...when you find a good AME...stay with him/her. Also, I would suggest getting a "real" doctor on the side, who you feel comfortable with, and get their opinion as well.

Good AME's are difficult to find...many of them are not even real doctors and they can't help you at all....they just want your cash. If your comfortable with your AME, your B.P. will automatically lower.

House

Latest resources

Back