• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High Altitude Training!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went to the one in OKC. It was great. I don't think I paid anything for it. They also had a spatial disorientation simulator there. You do a sustained turn for a while, then they have you bend down to pick up a pen or whatever and your head feels the spinning. Then when you roll out you start to get the leans real bad. It was cool.

A few questions:

Generally speaking, at what altitude will you literally lose consciousness???

At what altitude can you be killed from hypoxia, assuming you don't pass out and crash the aircraft....

Oh, and wasn't that Payne Stuart death years ago caused by cabin decompression....

bobbysamd said:
I never had altitude chamber. Did they ask you to try to write with pen and paper with your mask off? How was that?
I went to one earlier this year in Valdosta, GA. It was FAA sponsored but held at the AFB.

They had us take off the mask and do some public math that I couldn't even do with oxygen. But it was a lot of fun and some learning happened there too. On the way down in the chamber, one of the guys had a problem and they had to "spray" him down. I wish I could remember the name of the nasal spray they used just incase I ever experienced a problem during a descent and needed a "spray". (Any takers to the name???).

UnAnswerd,

Time of useful consciousness

Altitude Length of time

15,000 indefinite

20,000 10 minutes

22,000 6 minutes

24,000 3 minutes

26,000 2 minutes

28,000 1 minute

30,000 30 seconds

3 5 0

Those times listed above will vary depending on several things: Are you a smoker, taking any meds, properly rested, etc. Hypoxia affects different people in different ways. That's one advantage of going to the chamber--you get to see how it affects others and you get to feel how it gets to you. I think you can find a list in the AIM of the military bases where it is offered. It cost me $20-$30 in 2000 I think and was at Shaw AFB, Sumter, SC. It was an all day class. Fist half was classes on spatial disorientation, aeromedical factors, illusions, etc., and the chamber itself was after lunch. VERY, VERY, VERY WELL WORTH IT!!!

Latest resources

Back