• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey XJET guys...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks..How would that play out with your current ALPA representation? Would it require a decertification of ALPA? The main argument here against the independent union is that the cost would be prohibitive, but when you have all 5000 pilots paying dues it would be a different ballgame..

7500 if you include SkyWest Airlines.

Decertification of ALPA isn't gonna happen. There are benefits of having ALPA on the property like aeromedical and legal that in house unions don't do as well. Also, the boys club style association that Skywest currently has just doesn't get the job done.

You have to understand that we've had the type of mgmt that doesn't care about agreements, rules or regs and we need the advocacy of an organization that will fight hard when necessary.

The ASA mec has not been tough enough in the past, but hopefully with the e145 guys here we will have some representation that will fight harder.

Last edited:
Decertification of ALPA isn't gonna happen. There are benefits of having ALPA on the property like aeromedical and legal that in house unions don't do as well. Also, the boys club style association that Skywest currently has just doesn't get the job done.

You have to understand that we've had the type of mgmt that doesn't care about agreements, rules or regs and we need the advocacy of an organization that will fight hard when necessary.

The ASA mec has not been tough enough in the past, but hopefully with the e145 guys here we will have some representation that will fight harder.

There is enough negativity about alpa here that I think most people would vote for an in house union option.

I believe that one list would result in a group that would move forward our qol in a levelheaded and effective way.

Alpa isn't the problem. Think of it like a big corporation that sells franchises and supports those franchises when needed. Each pilot group runs their 'franchise' EX - XJT MEC, ASA MEC, CAL MEC, DAL MEC. You run your MEC how you see fit. If we got rid of ALPA you'd still have the same guys in those union offices doing the work. If you want to change things, the name won't fix anything... Get rid of the guys you elected and the MEC chairman they elected on your behalf. Getting rid of ALPA is a statement guys make when they don't know what they are talking about. Costs would go up, and most likely we'd see no improvements.

Are you on some alpa committee that gets you out of flying? Sounds like it.
Nope. I'm a line pilot and I've never been in trouble with the company or on any committee. I just fly the line, pay my dues and go home.

There is enough negativity about alpa here that I think most people would vote for an in house union option.

I believe that one list would result in a group that would move forward our qol in a levelheaded and effective way.

An in-house union sounds great until you realize we'll have fewer services and resources available to us with the same people representing us.

It would give the alpa-haters the warm and fuzzies though.....

An in house union would become the same boys club that Skywest has now, with anti-ALPA pilots that would cave on QOL issues to avoid rocking the boat.

Also, the most important factor is you're thinking inside the ASA/Atl box. The fact is there are over 2500 e145 pilots that will NEVER vote out ALPA.

The ORD crews have lost a considerable amount here already since XJT got here, not that there's bad feeling against them, but it's a fact our lines in ORD have been cut in half.

Sucks for the ORD OO pilots.

The sad truth is this; My former company, along with Air Wisconsin was the ORD UAX provider. Then the BK came, and SkyWest, along with Mesa, TSA, CHQ, etc under bid the crap out of the flying. And then, the former UAX carriers were replaced. Now, another carrier is replacing a former UAX carrier in ORD, and other locations like DEN. While said carrier is seeing the flying they do moved to other locations.

It's the sad circle of life at a regional airline. So although I feel SkyWest pilots in ORD that are seeing their QOL diminish, it's a little hard for me to feel sympathy for them, or ANY other UAX carrier that has seen the flying they did there replace by another outsourced contract lift provider.

Or simply put another way, karma is a b1tch motherfukcers. They all jumped for joy at the growth/expansion/upgrades that were received at the expense of other airline's demise during UAL's BK. Now it comes full circle. Get used to it. As long as you're at a regional airline, that will be the story of your career.

I apologize if that sounded crass or harsh. But if I have to hear another sob story from a SkyWest pilot or hear they're our "saviors", seriously, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But needless to say, again, there's no sympathy for the situation ANY of us are in while were at a regional airline.

Last edited:
Not looking for sympathy at all, just stating a fact. Most guys here like me took the first offer, I had RP and XE interviews scheduled. The biggest complainers at SkyWest without a doubt are the guys who jumped ship from ASA, S5 and XE, we have loads of those guys here lamenting their move...I have little sympathy for them.

Latest resources

Back