Help on ANG decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ANG flying

Reading these posts brings back some memories, but they ended in mid 80's cause I got out due to unit aircraft change. Not that I didn't want to fly something new (some poor units went back to mixmasters twenty years ago from fighters), but I loved the Dart so much.

Used to be that a 2 year degree got you in the door. Many got in by enlisting and going to airman basic and tech school. That was me- Lackland 3702 and Chanute when everyone was there learning something. Max age was 27.5 to enter UPT- no exceptions. The tequila across the border from Laughlin was mean.

Tyndall William Tell competition came many times for the '6. I wasn't top gun in my unit, so I just heard about then fun there.

OK, I'll quit reminiscing.

AMS (Academy of Military Science) in Knoxville now handles officer training for the ANG and the AFR. I graduated AMS in 1983.

I went to UPT at Columbus AFB. After 10 hours in the Tweet, I was medically disqualified due to very low blood pressure causing me to gray out. I was not a happy camper. Now, I'm over 20 years, non-rated. I was too stubborn, or too stupid (some of both?) to give up on flying or a reserve military career.

If you want to go ANG you must go through an ANG unit recruiter. The AFR can't recruit for the ANG and vice-versa. An active duty recruiter may recruit for the AFR.

If you're single, and can go to a unit anywhere, do so. You gain some competitiveness in the AFR. You will do more than one weekend per month and two weeks of active duty. You must maintain the level of proficiency as active duty pilots. Therefore, you are provided AFTPs (additional flight training periods). They are paid, but eat up a lot of off time from your day job and, if married, your family.

Good luck! Send some rounds down range for me!

Latest resources

Back