Heavies to Fighters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
117 Names

Yes, cockroach is a more widely used name. Even they use it...when planning their strike lines, they call the overskull view of their ingress to the target area, their attack, and their egress "the roach crawl".

Stink Bug sounds funnier, though.

Hey guys, thanks for the good info. I've been gone a trip so I was unable check the board. I like the idea of going to the B2, I may be looking at a long Furlough. Couple of you guys made mention of the F117 as a though it was an option similar to the U2 program. Does anyone have info on that one. If not, I call the guys at AFPC tomorrow and post what I find. I have already sent my package to them to retrun to the C-5. Hopefully it will just take them to move that stack to the figher wanna-be stack. Thanks guys for the advice and info.

Options

I've flown both Eagles and Vipers, and did a U-2 assignment inbetween. You do have a few options of going to fighters after your assignment to the Duece. Although, if you can handle the TDY rate (which really isn't so bad..) then why would you want to leave the U-2? It's all single-seat, single-engine jet time, over 20,000 lbs and a lot of it. Plus you get the T38 as your companion trainer. I've had several friends go to the Viper out of the U-2 and they had no fighter background at all. One was a FAIP and the other was a C-21 driver. It just depends on how much your commander will fight for you when you come up for an assignment.

Believe me, if the Fighter Mafia at AFPC needs qualified guys they will look everywhere for them. I would stay away from the Cockroach and the B-2. While it would be fun to say you flew them, that would probably be the last thing you get to fly in your career, unless of course you go to Test Pilot School. They are very hard to get out of. It also depends on what you want to do further down the road. The U-2 is not the "blackhole" that everyone thinks it is...

Just my .02

Latest resources

Back