Gov't Training Assistance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I have been told that sometimes furloughed pilots qualify for grants from the state that may be used to go to school or get a type rating. Which gov't office should I contact to inquire into this and what type would you go after if they will pay for it?

Thanks

The program that I am aware of is called WIA (Workforce Investment Act). When I went through 737 school everone else in my class except me and one other military guy were there on WIA funds (even paid for their hotel room). This was sometime after 9-11. Call 817-445-7000 and ask to talk to the financing person that handles WIA (Sandy I think).

From what I understand; the federal gov't gives money to the states, which in turn distributes it to the counties. If you go to your local unemployment office, they may say that they have no more money left this year. The reason for this is probably that everyone else based at your hub beat you to the funds. But, you could go one or two counties over and get the money, no problem. There is no residency requirement (at least that's what I'm told).

I don't know what kind of type rating you should get. Personally I would go for the G450-550 type, but you are looking at $50K plus with expenses. I'm not sure that they would spring for that much money. You can get a 737 Type and try your luck flying overseas, or try to get on with Southwest. There are corporate BBJ Jobs here in the US, but typically, they don't care too much about you being typed in advance (although strangely enough their HR screening process would probably look favorably on it).

Good luck to you.

How much work do you need to put into the 737 type prior to going to class (10 days)? Some folks from my last company are doing it.

look under sponsor ads on this website and click onto
K+S Aviation.They are WIA approved and will answer all youre questions.Good Luck

To my understanding, you need to work backwards when looking into the WIA. Don't go to your state or local government asking for the type...go to the schoolhouse of your choice, and have them work it for you.

Latest resources

Back