Got a Call from SWA today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DLFLYR,

If you need to update contact information, I'd suggest calling the People Department directly, then follow up with a letter. As long as you meet their minimums, no need to update flying time, etc -- unless you went out and bought a type.

Linsey is Lindsey Lang, one of the folks in the people Dept. I've been talking to Linsey ever since I got the first interview call from SWA. Either Linsey or Jennifer will "own" your file during the process.

My story: Military (ret in Nov 02, avail Aug 02), 3000-ish hours, no 737 type (yet), applied March 01, Called in Aug 01 for a Sept interview, scheduled for Sept 17th, rescheduled for Oct 17th (when everything hit the fan), interview cancelled a few days later. Lindsey called me back last Thursday. Now scheduled for Jan 14th, 8AM.

An unsolicited plug: Shell out $250 to Rob Beaks for prep. Although I haven't been through the interview yet, he certainly made me more comfortable about what to expect -- exactly what I needed, since I've never had to interview for a position in my life.

Good luck to all and Happy holidays
alex

Great news guys!

To all heading to SWA! I am glad to hear that they are in the hiring mode and hopefully they will continue this trend. It is good to see you all share information and discuss your future at a great carrier. I just wish this kind of news was being shared among more majors. Maybe oneday soon the sun will shine on the rest of us. Good luck guys!

Boz

January Interview

Dudes,
Just set up my interview with SWA for the 14th (pm) of Jan. I was previously scheduled for 24 Sept but had it cancelled. I submitted my app back in Mar 01 and got the call for initial interview in Aug 01. No 737 type and will probably wait until getting the thumbs up call from SWA to get it. Still in the military and can't separate until at least Jul 02. Best of Luck to all!
:p

Congrats to all!!

Since a lot of you done you interviews, could you fill us wantabe's in what was all involved in the interview? Any info would be greatful.
thanks.

Hi Mense,

The interview for SWA was very friendly and pleasant. The whole thing takes about half a day, and includes three individual interviews and a logbook check. No sim evaluation in conducted. The interviews are usually conducted by two pilots and one People Department rep. The questions tend to be situational and generally non-technical. The best way to prepare (in my humble opinion), is to use your logbook as a memory-jog, and think about "out of the ordinary" situations, and how you handled them.

They truly went out of their way to make me feel comfortable, Just relax and be yourself.

Best of luck,

VeeOneRot8:)

P.S. -Reading "NUTS" (if you haven't already) would definitely help in becoming educated about SWA and their unique culture.

Go back through your logbook. Try to remember the times you:

--Screwed something up or made an error in judgement. What happened and how did you deal with it?

--Had a conflict with a crewmember, superior, or subordinate.

--Failed a checkride. What happened, what did you learn, did you agree with the check pilot?

--Diverted to another field. What circumstances?

--Had an emergency situation. What circumstances?

--Used crew resource management. Ever had your mind changed by the crew? Ever had to make a "team" decision inflight? Ever had to try to convince the Captain to do something different?

--Broke a rule on purpose. What circumstances would make you do this?

Don't "over-prepare." They aren't going to want to hear the same answer some guy from your company or squadron gave them two weeks ago, and they aren't going to want to feel like you've memorized some monologue about your stories. Think about the situation and what points you think are important, and then move on to the next one. You can use the same situation to answer more than one question, and you can use the same situation with more than one of the interview team.

They're probably going to ask you about failed checkrides, but they are doing this to see how you handled it and what you learned, not to compare you to someone who hasn't failed one. Their approach seems to be that it's happened to everyone, and your attitude about it is more important than the fact that it happened.

They're also going to ask why you want to work there, and why you're a good "fit." If you haven't read "Nuts," read it. It's a good read, and you'll learn some things about the way the company "ticks." If you can't find some things you like in there, it may NOT be the place for you, but I think most guys will find enough things that appeal to them that you can come up with a good sincere answer about what you like and why you'd be a good addition.

Don't get nervous about it at all. If an interview can be "fun," this one is. It's totally non-adversarial, and you shouldn't feel like you're having to "prove your worth." Know your record, your strengths, and your weaknesses, and just act like a "normal person."

mense,
First of all, this is a plug all my own, Rob ain't payin me a dime! That being said, I would HIGHLY reccomend you give Rob Beeks a call for an interview prep. He is a pilot for SWA and does an excellent phone prep. What helped me the most wasn't trying to memorize 100 different situations, but trying to get across the fact that I am a proficient pilot who makes sound decisions and won't get sideways with the Captain after a 4 day trip. They don't really care that you got in a tiff with the f/a about the dust on the galley, but how you handled that situation. Anyway, the $250 for a prep with Rob was money well spent, IMHO. I got hired so I am a fan, and I believe his success rate for guys he helps out is above 90%. Any more ??s, let me know.
ETX

Latest resources

Back