Goodbye pension, here comes next pay cut

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
737 Pylt said:
If you're poking fun at someone who is on the street, then you better remember the old saying about "glass houses." Funny how you write about arrogance!

The comment was based on some very heated exchanges initiated by this DBA and his continued knocking of CAL from his (and always gloated about) lofty position at DAL. This occured some time ago before the Delta financial implosion and long before your arrival on the forum.

Your perceived inflection of "arrogance" was nothing more than a reminder that his mud slinging originated from that same "glass house" you speak of. My predictions that he scoffed at have come home to roost.

I'm not sure how you considered my comment as poking fun at him. I thought of it as a reality check. If I wanted to poke fun at him, I could of said some much more pointed comments.

Last edited:
Then, the government likes to give everyone too much time in Chap 11, and then that pulls the rest of the legacy carriers down too.

GL, I'm afraid you will have a different perspective shortly.

Has anyone pointed out the irony of the big "paper loss" (which is correct if you look at the low amount of cash Delta burned through) was essentially the downgrading of the very assets they now want to sell?

skykid said:
GL, I'm afraid you will have a different perspective shortly.

Has anyone pointed out the irony of the big "paper loss" (which is correct if you look at the low amount of cash Delta burned through) was essentially the downgrading of the very assets they now want to sell?

I guess that would make it a "realized" paper loss ???

OK, so it is only a "paper" loss. What happens when you are sitting there and have no more paper left?

Yeah, if they have devalued the price so low that they have to sell for a fraction of what it would have been worth, there went the "paper loss."

Those of you salivating over Delta going ch11 better check your backyard. United and USAirways are going nowhere. Delta will not either. They will simply hack at labor and drag the industry down even further. Other carriers will follow in step. My guess is that CAl would be next, then NWA, Jblu, and Airtran in some order. I think we are back to reregulation again very soon--if we are not in a severe recession. If oil does not go down, the airline industry WILL tank in its present state of competition. That includes SWA.

Someone made the astute observation the other day that if the legacies are having this much trouble in the middle of the economic recovery, how will they do when we have another downturn?

A "life or death" struggle during the good times is not very comforting.TC

Those of you salivating over Delta going ch11 better check your backyard. United and USAirways are going nowhere. Delta will not either. They will simply hack at labor and drag the industry down even further.

Don't include me in salivating for them to go Ch11. As for Delta dragging the industry down, that is an interesting perspective you have. They have dropped salary and benefits to match their competition, and they are going to have to dump their pensions to match the competition. What they can't do is match the younger employees and less complicated operation of only flying small planes domestically. There is a lot of anomosity in this board when the "legacy" airlines struggle to adapt to the current situation.

Blast from the past

Don't include me in salivating for them to go Ch11. As for Delta dragging the industry down, that is an interesting perspective you have. They have dropped salary and benefits to match their competition, and they are going to have to dump their pensions to match the competition. What they can't do is match the younger employees and less complicated operation of only flying small planes domestically. There is a lot of anomosity in this board when the "legacy" airlines struggle to adapt to the current situation.

Where re did everyone go, wonder if that Genlee dude is still here?

Latest resources

Back