Going from 135 Jet to a Legacy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinhigh21

Just wondering everyone's opinion on how competitive I would be for a legacy sometime in the future:

I am 26 years old currently flying Lear 45s and Citations for a management company as an F/O. I am hoping to upgrade within the next year.

I also have about 3000 hours of 121 time as a CRJ f/o for Endeavor. I was there for about 4.5 years. I left that job a year and a half ago because the writing appeared to be on the wall and this management company job beats the pants off of the regional business.

I also have a Bachelor's degree and have had my applications on file with the legacy carriers for the last year. My main concern is that I am not current 121. I didn't seem to think that much about it when I left Pinnacle, but now I am concerned that I may be at a disadvantage because I don't currently fly for a 121 carrier. I know that I will certainly need some TPIC. I appreciate your opinions.

How much are you flying?

Apply to everyone - the landscape has changed, and there are a lot of experienced FOs out there getting jobs w/o PIC- but I'd take the first upgrade-

In your situation- don't assume your move was a negative. As long as you can explain it- you're fine - I'm not sure regional pilots have ever had an advantage in job hunts over corporate jets. Why would you think it would?

The only way I've seen it affect pilots is in networking- generally regional pilots have more contact with more pilots from regionals and majors. Easier to decipher through the BS. And travel. Free travel to job fairs and interviews is a benefit.
And I'd say job fairs are key for you

Last edited:
I flew just over 500 hours in 2013. There are also many opportunities to do additional flying on your days off if you would want to make some extra dough and/or build up some time more quickly.

My concern is just based on reading posts where there seems to be a consensus that majors prefer either military or 121 pilots. My situation is, I'm guessing, not as common because I do have a few years of 121 time, it just isn't current. I feel that I am a much more well-rounded pilot now than I was as a regional pilot only. That is a different discussion, however.

I do know that of the 30 or so pilots that I work with, I am probably the ONLY one with a top priority of getting to a major. Everyone else here is either content or is gunning for a cushy part 91 job. Maybe that is a reason why there aren't as many 135 guys getting on at the majors.

Last edited:
Wave is right, staying current is key. Beyond that a bit of networking always helps elevate your exposure.

You are young and well experienced for a coming wave of hiring throughout the industry. As for going from 121 regional F/O to 135, it is a non issue unless you make it one. Family to feed and/or worried about the future of you current gig are valid reasons to move on, and nobody will fault you for trying to improve your situation.

I read your first post with a bit of looking over my own shoulder. At 26 I was lucky to get a job flying a beat up DC 3 in the islands. I was well into my 40s before I got a jet type rating. I am now a senior CA at a LCC and closing in on 30K TT, almost all of it in 121 operations. I have a GV type rating from a stint as sim instructor a while back but without connections in the 91/135 world I doubt I will ever get a chance to use it.

See, the grass is always greener on the other side! Relax, keep applying, go to the job fairs and shake a lot of hands. Time is on your side.

Last edited:
Network and get PIC turbine, and eventually you will get what you want. The legacies hire pilots with Regional, corporate, and Military time. They also like poaching pilots from competitors, especially LCCs. If you get an interview, you may have to explain why you left 121 Ops, but it sounds like you had a good reason. Tell them you wanted to get as qualified as you could so you could get on with XX major..... They will like that.... Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I worked at a 135 Learjet operator. It was during the last hiring boom in 2000. Captains that had their 1000 pic turbine went to Fedex (1), UAL(1), Frontier (8) because they wanted to be in Denver, Delta (1). I think doing all the work a pilot has to do at 135 like flight planning, figuring out how much fuel you have left in a hold for bad weather and where you are going next, etc can be more demanding than all than flying at a 121 with all the help you get there.

Check Six

My concern is just based on reading posts where there seems to be a consensus that majors prefer either military or 121 pilots. My situation is, I'm guessing, not as common because I do have a few years of 121 time, it just isn't current. I feel that I am a much more well-rounded pilot now than I was as a regional pilot only. That is a different discussion, however.
Yes they like military and 121 pilots, but the pile with those resumes is getting shorter all the time and the biggest push in hiring has yet to come. Pilots without college degrees are now getting interviews. Wave and I rarely agree on anything, but his advice is spot-on, keep building time, apply everywhere. In my option you already have 121 time and understand flying the structured airline environment.

A flying career is about job security. I look back over my career of 50 years and look at my buddies who had the best jobs. They were 121 pilots who got hired at the beginning of a hiring boom like we now going to experience. They made Captain quickly, were never furloughed, although they were screwed with retirement BK, they had a great ride. Go 121, apply everywhere, Spirit, JB, Once hired stay there build seniority.

I'm legacy with only 135 time. Get turbine PIC and network.

Also, apply to every 121 you want to work for long term. Don't even consider going back to 121 regional.

stay patient. 5000 hrs of pt 121 pic and I don't expect to hear anything too soon.

network your ass off, but that still requires patience

Above is why you should go to job fairs. It might open doors, but it also gives the best advice straight from recruiters.
Be "patient" if it helps you stay sane mentally. Be impatient if that helps you get to job fairs and update apps with regular discipline.

Latest resources

Back