Give a flight review from the ground?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

O2Hit

OK, I know it sounds bizzare (at least it did to me) but before I start digging into the FARs and call the local FISDO (and get ahold of someone who hasn't a clue) I thought I'd ask the afficionatos on this board if I can give someone a flight review while standing on the ground.
The person who asked me if I could do this flys an experimental single seat airplane and wants to do the review in that airplane.
Thanks for any input.

O2

O2,

A flight review may not be conducted in a single place airplane. The purpose of a flight review is recurrent training on the ground and in flight, with an authorized instructor. Note that a ground instructor may endorse a student or applicant for the ground training portion of a flight review, but not the flight portion, as a ground instructor is not authorized to provide flight instruction. A flight instructor, by the same token, may not provide flight instruction on the ground; it must be provided in flight (otherwise, it's ground instruction).

Specifically, 14 CFR Part 61.56(a) specifies one hour of ground training, and one hour of flight training, at a minimum. 61.1(b)(6) defines flight training as "training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.”

Turning to 61.195(g), we find under "Position in aircraft and required pilot stations for providing flight training" that a flight instructor must perform all training from in an aircraft that complies with the requirements of 91.109. It further states that the aircraft must have at least two pilot stations and be of the same category, class, and type, if appropriate, that applies to the pilot certificate or rating sought.

91.109 provides an exception for aircraft with single controls, as opposed to dual controls.

There is no prohibition against performing the flight review in an experimental aircraft, but the aircraft will require at least two pilot stations.

I did my private pilot in a glider that was a single seat (Schweitzer 1-26. ) The FED sat on the ground with a handheld radio and told me what to do. This was 11 years ago though.:D

Jball,

14 CFR 61.45(e) provides that a practical test may be conducted in an aircraft having a single set of controls, but does not grant authorization for use of a single place aircraft. In certain cases, 61.45(e)(3) has been held to dictate that the examiner may observe the applicant from a ground position or from another aircraft, but this is not the intent of the FAR, nor the way in which it was written.

No provision exists for a flight review, for the use of a single place aircraft, as previously discussed.

How about if you were to obtain an LOA in a P-51. That would cound as a flight review and its one seat so its observed from the ground.

O2,
I have to agree with Avbug on this one. Why not just have your friend bite the bullet and you two go rent a 152 somewhere to do the review? It will give him a much better workout than you on the ground telling him what to do anyhow.

How's life in The Big D lately?

Avbug,

Thanks for the well documented response. Your answer is pretty much the way I figured it would be. I thought I'd heard of people in the past doing a practical test with the examiner on the ground so I didn't want to tell my friend flat out no, it can't be done, till I checked it out.
This guy did call the FSDO and they didn't have a clue.

Ifly,

Having fun........when's your sim? I'm coming out there 4 times this month so maybe I'll see you in ops.
Yeah..... we'll do it in a Cherokee 180 or something.
See ya,

O2

Whats a LOA, I was told that I will need a LOA if I ever wanted to log some PIC time in a T-28?

LOA

LOA is a Letter of Authorization. The FAA issues LOAs to pilots who would fly aircraft that are not certificated in the standard categories with which we are familiar. The T-28 you want to fly (don't we all) might be certificated in a Restricted category or Experimental. Homebuilts are certificated in the Experimental category.

Hope that helps. Think of me when you go fly the T-28. :)

jball2 said:
I did my private pilot in a glider that was a single seat (Schweitzer 1-26. ) The FED sat on the ground with a handheld radio and told me what to do. This was 11 years ago though.:D

Any idea if this is still allowed today? I have a buddy who owns a single place glider and would like to do his Glider rating in it if possible.

Latest resources

Back