FYI: Earn Extra Money in 19 U.S. Cities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J.Otto

If you're looking to make a few extra dollars in your spare time, you might be interested in a contract company I recently joined. It's called TaskRabbit and you SET your own RATES, SCHEDULE and the TYPE of tasks you're willing to perform.

If you're mechanically-inclined like myself and enjoy or are skilled at assembling furniture (like IKEA), performing minor home/auto repairs, carpentry, or delivering random items, you might be interested. These are just some of the tasks available. You can list your skills for categories available like cleaning, computer work, moving, packing and organizing, painting, plumbing, writing, office work, pet sitting, yard work, etc.

The company takes 20% of your hourly fee. You are guaranteed at least 1 hour of pay due to the 1 hour minimum. Many of the people who use this service are generally well-off and can afford to have you do things most of us proletarians do ourselves. Depending on the city, you can make $30-80/hr on average (or higher) doing really (relatively) simple stuff a few hours a day or a few days a week during your off days. This is a GREAT way to supplement your income.

All participants are vetted - both workers and clients are checked. You get paid via direct deposit. After you complete your task, you submit your hours and 24 hrs later the clients CC is charged. Within 3 days after, it hits your linked checking account. You're a 1099 so keep track of your earnings.

The assignments are disseminated via an smartphone app. You toggle your availability on/off for when you're available for an assignment invitation (hire) based on the schedule you set. If you don't want to be randomly invited (hired) to perform a task, keep your "availability" off, and search the "available" tasks list which are first-come first-serve, and often disappear within seconds or minutes. I usually wait for a high hourly rate to show up and ignore the lower paid ones.

This is not some get-rich scheme, but a form of an "ODD-JOB" broker where you perform honest work without being committed to the company for schedule or pay rates. You can also pick-and-choose what you want to do, giving you full autonomy.

The company is TaskRabbit (taskrabbit.com) - checkout their website of more information. I highly recommend them.

Conversely, if you NEED a task performed, or maybe a relative/friend needs one, perhaps this might be a convenient solution to find someone local to do work for you.

They're currently serving 19 cities.

19 Cities:
Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Houston
LA & OC
London
Miami
New York City
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
San Antonio
San Diego
Seattle
SF Bay Area
Washington DC

As an example, I mounted a flat screen TV on a wall (client supplied the hardware) and removed some old furniture (tall vases, bicycle, mirror, disassembled shelving) for some lady. It took 2 hours and I was paid $50/hr. - I made $100 plus a $20 tip for 2 hours of easy work in my free time.

Another job I performed involved installing hinge brackets into kitchen cabinet doors and hanging them. I then drilled holes into the doors and drawers in order to install a dozen handles into the cabinets. This job took about 5 hours and I made $200 plus a tip.

I've also assembled a lot of random IKEA stuff like desks and get paid $30-40/hr.

Anyway, maybe some of you find this work below you (I don't know) , but if you need extra money for the holidays, a new baby or just more beer money, I would encourage you to check their service out.

Sounds like taskrabbit is your pimp.
So is crew dispatch. :pimp:

So degrading
So is flying for GoJet. You'd feel quite comfortable. Submit an app!

As the customer, how is the work guaranteed?
The company has a 1 million dollar policy. It covers you and the client.

I realize its not glamorous work but when you're in-between jobs or need extra cash, it allows you to use your innate skills to make a few dollars when you want and for how much. No one has to admit it, but I'm sure many have at least given the website a look and considered it.

Don't knock it... some people need stuff like this to make ends meet. It's not a career... just a financial stopgap if/when you need it. I sure don't feel ashamed I have worked a few jobs for them, especially when I used to have a good income and lifestyle. I admittedly had difficulty ramping down my lifestyle and put myself into a bad financial situation. What I am ashamed of is not having enough money in my pockets.

It beats walking around the parking garage looking for baggage carts to return for the deposit.

This actually sounds like a good extra income source.

Latest resources

Back