Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avi8tr

Hey you guy's,

You know all this talk about the "major" furloughees that are out on the street and looking for flying jobs. It seems to me that if I were applying for work, and the interviewing company asked me to resign my seniority number, I would walk away as fast as I could. I mean, it's a no brainer right, I mean, the bottom line is for most of us to get on with a major airline someday right.And once your'e hired, that seniority number means everything. A furlough is just a temporary thing. I know, some will get laid off again subsequently, but the job is worth the effort. I have been in this business 17 years and I can tell you that alot of these Captains that are flying these widebodies (making 200k) have been at least once in thier career, out on the street furloughed. It just comes with this very economically sensitive business that wer'e in. My suggestion for all you guy's that have been cut loose for the short term, apply with the fractionals, they are growing, and have nice equipment. Give the others a chance to get thier seniority number, so that they too, can one day be furloughed.

Signed,

waiting to be hired...

avi8tr-

You may be opening up a can of worms here. I read your ALG interview post and it sounds like you're upset that you may not be offered a position there while one of the disgruntled furloughed pilots may. Is this the case?

You mentioned that furloughed pilots shouldn't apply to carriers that require one to resign seniority. Everyone's case is different. I am furloughed from USAirways and have been looking for a job since I knew the furloughs were coming. I have not applied to any carriers that require me to resign from USAirways. Not just yet. I have a small amount of hope that I'll be called back in the not to distant future. But, I'm becoming to realize that this may not be the case. The last time USAirways furloughed, early nineties, it took 7-8 years before the pilots were all called back. Right now, some of those pilots are scheduled to be furloughed again. The way USAirways management is running this airline, the chances of any recalls in a timely period is very remote. They've gotten rid of approx. 100 aircraft and are scheduled to furlough a total of 1350 pilots. Management has even admitted in the media that they are using 9/11 to their advantage and restructuring the airline. The furloughed USAirways pilots are probably in little different boat then the other furloughees. I believe that quite a few have and are willing to give up that all important sen. number. As time goes on, more and more will do the same. Maybe if you worked for Delta, American or a few others, then you could feel a little better about your chances of coming back.

About going to the fractionals. Exec Jet is probably doing the most hiring right now. I have a comploeted application sitting on my desk at home. I haven't mailed it because they require you to resign your seniority number. So it's just not the airlines or regionals that are requiring this. I'm sure that a lot of companies are following this policy or not even looking at furloughees. So now what?

Why should I turn down a job so that you can get that all important number? It kinda hit me wrong after I read your message this morning. You know what?, I have been offered a job at Allegheny. I used to work there and gave up 8 years seniority to chase my dream of going to a major airline. Looks like I'll be going back and flying with my old FOs who are now Captains. And you know what, I'm happy to have a job. Sorry if I took your position but I have to look out for my family.

Good luck and hopefully everyone will obtain their dreams someday. Just remember that once you think that everything is great and you have that warm and cozy feeling, look out.

pappy

Pappy,
I don't think you should have to apologize for taking a job that you are more than qualified to hold. I'm afraid that sometimes frustration about the state of the industry is taken out on the nearest available target. In this case, 'those stinkin', greedy, major pilots who just want to come down and steal my regional job, just because they can!' seem to be the most readily available target. With over 8,000 hours you should never have to apologize for taking an available job. Good luck.

Pappy,
Piedmont is hiring furloughed Airways pilots. They do let you keep your U seniority #, however, I understand a two year commitment is required. Good luckl!
Regards, JP

Legal?

Not to start a fight or bring out the amateur lawyers, but do you think its legal for USAIR Express Carriers that are hiring furloughees to only ask non USAIR furloughees for their seniority numbers.

Humble

Amateur Lawyer Time....

This is a more interesting discussion than the last issue about "not being interviewed because of furloughed status/recall rights."

Once again, what is the complaint? As a condition of employment, the company asks for seniority resignation, except from Carrier X. Since there isn't any protection oferred to furloughees (at this time) which would permit the hiring company to abstain from this position, then why not?

Since the USAir/Piedmont/Allegheny discussion is involved, doesn't the same holding/parent company own all three?

Arguably, it isn't "fair" but until there is some type of legislation or a very creative attorney that can state a claim upon which relief can be granted (and survive motions), then we will continue to have these discussions about legality/discrimination with respect to furlough status. It's legal to consider furloughees in a different light than non-furloughees.

Shades of Gray

Whether or not they state they will take a furloughee, the question is, "are they in fact taking them".

The question is, within Federal Statue, does the company, any company, have the right to determine who they hire and what the conditions of employment are.

Secondly, think about it from this perspective. While many of those hired may aspire to the majors,,,, believe it or not some do not,,, the ones with a number are sure to go. If I can find acceptable personnel who do not have a number, why not go with them. The fact is that it may be some time before non numbered pilots have a major job offer.

As to the USAir situation. In that case, has not an arrangement been made between the mainline carrier and its regional to cover something that works for both of them.

In history, all the furlough periods mentioned, many of the pilots furloughed were put into an obsure gray zone where no one would hire them for full employment.

Latest resources

Back