FSI@VRB tests Pilot Biometric ID Card

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

A follow up thread to Jaybird's previous post.

Flying Magazine - May 2002

A security system that uses biometrics embedded in an identification smart card has begun being tested at Flight Safety International's training academy in Vero Beach, Florida.

The system uses a "SkyGuard" card that contains a 16K computer chip that can record pertinent information about the pilot as well as a photograph AND a fingerprint.

This information is recorded on the card - a simple 2 minute procedure.

Once the information is loaded onto the computer chip in the card, a fingerprint reader can be used at an ACCESS POINT to an airport or at a dispatcher's post before releasing an airplane to confirm that the fingerprint on the card AND the bearer information match. All the dispatcher has to do is swipe the card through a card reader while the person pictured places their finger on the fingerprint reader. If the fingerprint on the card and that of the pilot don't correspond, the dispatcher is presented with a message that states, "Fingerprint doesn't match. ACCESS DENIED."

Seems like the FAA could easily get a similiar pilot / flight crew program going to enhance safety and eliminate much of the crew issues at security checkpoints.

Last edited:
That's funny, this is the first I've heard of this and I just got back from the flightline. I didn't see anything like this in use.

The program is supposted to be underway in a test phase and come online academy wide shortly.

Check with Pat Brown or Peter, the center manager, over at the flight line if interested.

Latest resources

Back