• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freight Hauling jobs...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah it certainly sounds that way doesn't it...doesn't hurt to ask though. Thanks guys. Just hope I do well in the next UPT board ;)

There's always jump planes. Beats instructing!

What are jump planes

Huck What are jump planes?

jmac where did you get your info from? I know a guy who was just called for an interview and he had less than 1200.

Jump Plane

Jump planes are the skydive operators. You will get to log about 3 to 4 tenths of an hour each flight, however, it is not cross country time which is very much needed. I was one of the fortunate ones who caught several breaks in aviation as a low time pilot before 9/11. I also made the mistake, at least in my own personal opinion, of not getting my instructor ratings. I did however build over 600 hours in one year flying banners in the D/FW area. If you look to do that, I suggest either the operators in New Jersey or Florida. There, you should be able to build your cross county time as well. Do yourself a favor though, get you instructor tickets! :D

Try GTA Air in Dallas. They are a 135 co. that will hire VFR 135 guys with 500 hours, but the lifestlye STINKS there. I have had a few coversations with those VFR guys and they talked about 14 hour duty days with only a couple of hours of flying, plus having to do a lot of company paperwork while sitting at the airport during IFR conditions. One huge drawback is that they DO NOT get paid...well at least when i talked to the VFR guys they didn't about a year ago, and knowing a litle about the company i am sure they still do not. It is basically a work for free job, however it is NOT PFT because you neither pay nor get paid, so maybe it is a BFT(Blood for Training) type job. OK, so my joke skills have seemed to slip on that one! However, this job will at least get you hours in a way other than instructing, but instructing is kind of fun... except for those days when you are so happy to be alive youhave to kiss the ground upon returning to the airport.

Good luck

Here's another insight on AirNet:

I spoke with hiring honcho Bob at Airnet, and they put a LARGE and definite value on having instructed. Get that CFI and use it.

Secondly, recency of experience is a big consideration. Thirty, ninety days, six month totals.

Thirdly, I filled out the online app some time ago, and I'm still waiting for the call. This probably indicates that there are boucoups pilots in the hiring pool.

I think the majority opinion still recommends flight instruction for experience in preparation for a job.

CFI Experience

I speak from prejudice because instructing is all I ever did in professional aviation, but it's unbelieveable how much you will learn about aviation from instructing. The old saying is true, that the best way to learn a subject is to teach it. Another, practical consideration is the written exams that airlines give during the interview process. I know people who fretted over these exams. I never understood why because these exams tested basic instructional knowledge that you would teach your students.

One more consideration is the CFI is a credential that represents a certain and particular benchmark of aviation knowledge. Recruiters like to see a CFI for that reason.

Good luck with your plans.

Well, to say it's easy to get a break... well... no it's not.

But to say that one has to do a lot of homework to get a break, oh hell yeah!!! I got my first VFR 135 job at 500 hours flying air tours, first cargo job at 830 hours flying VFR 135 in C210, got my first cargo twin job with 1000 total and 8 MULTI as PIC in a Seneca. Got up to 1200 hours, went to Ameriflight for 9 months and now at a regional. No CFI ticket, no money, and all kinds of desire and WILL to move up.

You really have to hustle. Take a folder-ful of your resumes, and walk into different places. Talk to people. Don't be afraid of rejection. If you have 500 hours total time (no way around that per FAR's), take a stack of your resumes to Vegas, and go say hi to every operator at every airport in the Greater Las Vegas area. Always be on the lookout for that next job, always be informed of what's going on.

Good luck!

Have to agree with what the other posts say. As for the CFI route...you will learn more than you ever thought possible. I also think Freight Dog has the right idea. Start beating down some doors....the worst they can say is no.....well atleast now you have a definite answer. May not be the one you want to hear but you might be surprised also.

The people that turn you down might also be able to point you in the right direction too. This industry is all about networking. The more people you know the better off you are. Some day down the road that person may be able to help you get on somewhere.

This should also be something you do to. I have helped several of my friends land some jobs. People helped me and i try to help others too. This is not to say that you dont need any experience...you do. It is almost a catch 22....people want you to have experience, but wont hire you to get the experience.

Also with the freight...depending on what a/c and company it is you will most likely be doing single pilot. That in itself can give you gray hair. You will learn a lot and you better learn it quick. I know i scared myself several times while doing single pilot seneca charter. It will make you a good pilot.

Thats my take on that,

1900cpt:p

Latest resources

Back