Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skytrucker

That's a 10-4 good buddy
This might be a jack-A$$ question, with as many answers as there are posts, but here goes;

Overall, how is the crew treated by the pax you fly? Is the pilot treated differently than the co-pilot?

The reason I ask is I've seen a lot of private and corporate crews and am amazed at the "yes masser', no masser" crap that sometimes goes on.

I know that fractional's are a different breed, but do you see this very often? If so, how is it handled?

I've heard (and seen) excellent custumer service from the top three frac. operators, but how close is the line between accomadating the custumer and being thier doormat?

Also, did any of these types of scenerios come up in interviews and how did you respond?

thanks for any on the subject.

my standard answer when asked this question:

it's just like the general pilot force or most any other group:
95% of the people in that group are pretty nice. 5% aren't so nice.

a lot of it depends on your demeaner/attitude. if they think they can push you over, they might try. the majority of our pax are really nice people. every once in awhile you get one that isn't nice, but usually you are forwarned by mgt or previous crews.

Plan on it

When I interviewed at EJA last fall most of my interview consisted of questions dealing with customer service. They like to start a scenario and ask how you may handle it, and then they keep it going to see how you would handle it. The main rule is NEVER compromise safety to keep the customer happy, always pick the safest route first. Customer service is important, but it always comes second to safety.

passengers

I talk to a good many corporate and frax operator pilots. I have had very few, very few, who did not enjoy many of the passengers that they get to fly.

There is some misconception here that these guys are schlepping bags and fixing food etc. for these people. Most of the pasengers assist with their bags and will get their own food or drinks if you tell them where they are.

Are their no asses in the world no, but no more than any other situation

"Overall, how is the crew treated by the pax you fly? Is the pilot treated differently than the co-pilot?"

Generally, the pax we fly are pretty nice and understanding. If there is a problem, such as weather or maintenance, most of them are very understanding and know that what we do in such situations are for their safety and ours.

"The reason I ask is I've seen a lot of private and corporate crews and am amazed at the "yes masser', no masser" crap that sometimes goes on."

The corporate world is much different. The owners have total control over who has a job and who does not. If they do not like the fact that a crew refuses to fly into a specific area due to bad weather, they can fire the crew. At the fractionals, it's not like that. If an owner calls and complains that a crew would not fly them from DFW to IAH exactly when they wanted to go because there was a line of severe thunderstorms between the two cities, what do you think will come of it? Nothing.

Some of the customers that fly more often than others in a given aircraft fleet become fairly well known by the crews, and we do what we can to accomodate their specific needs/desires. Often these are spelled out on trip sheets for crews that may not know from previous experience. These range everywhere from having specific types of candy, soda, or beer on board the airplane, to having the owners car running for at least 10 minutes before arriving regardless of weather conditions.

Passenger attitudes.

With regard to difficult passengers, isnt it nice to know that we are always and ultimately in charge of every flight? Passengers are the reason we are all here, but when the attitudes deteriorate for whatever reason, my charm, understanding, and kindness increase proportionately...it always always puts out the fire, regardless of the reason or the source. That seems to work for me. Shower them with kindness.

IN the extreme cases of an unusually ornary customer who has no regard for anyone but him or herself, I can tell you that our company will have a sit down with them. This has happened...and we have also told people that they are not welcome based on bad experiences between the customer and the crew.

Of course, you can always resort to the last possible option that usually involves the worst dog gone rides and the longest possible re-routes... hahaha. HOw about pilot induced turbulence....

there were some excellent posts on here and in the years I flew corporate, the big item is this. Never ever let your passengers talk you into something you do not feel comfortable with. As captain you've got to step up to the plate. Hopefully your company will back you on any decision that is made.

Latest resources

Back