Fork in the road.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Loan Repayment

Worry more about finding a good program than the time it'll take to pay back your loans. The repayment terms are very liberal and the government will work with you when and if you're strapped. If you can stay busy you'll make a living wage instructing. After you build enough hours you can take the next step, which very well could be freight and not necessarily a commuter if airlines aren't hiring. But you should still make enough to pay your loans. You may have to wait a few years before you can buy that cool, new 4x4. Believe me, if all works out, the wait will be more than worth it.

Brian is giving excellent advice about avoiding schools that make outlandish promises. Once again, good luck with your plans.

Heres what I did, I got a regular 40 hr a week job and bought a C-150. Put it on a 20 year loan and the payments were like 230 am month plus gas and tie down, racked like 500 hours on it and the meanwhile while working I got my Instrument and Commerical tickets. Once I got my commercial I banner towed and go a little experience under my belt and then went for my CFI. The taught for a while then got a 40 hr a week job again. Then I went for my multi, to do that I got a $7000 loan and dove in, got about 50 hrs of multi. I saved up some money and did my CFII followed by my MEI. Now I'm still working that 40 hr a week job STILL in school (almost AA) and about to go instruct. I have only 4000 left on my loan and all consumer debt (IE credit cards) paid off, I financed my MEI with the good ole plastic LOL) WOOPS!
Now if I could just find a job.
Try really hard not to do loans, and do what it takes to get your CFI. If you don't have the money to fly or run into some spots that are dry with money, go to a aviation bookstore and by some books and just read like crazy. Get sharp, you'll save money in both ground and flightime in the long run.

1050 TT 55ME later
Mistakes I've made:

Not taking both single and multi checkrides together.
Probably should have taken both Instrument and CFII written tests one after another, that sounds weird but they are almost 100% identical EXCEPT in # of questions.
I wish I had'nt financed so much! I should have just gotten my MEI minimum hrs and taught for the multi hrs.

I'm part of the way, at least half of the way to a regional one of these days.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back