• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Foreign Carriers and the Military Reservist

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're not a reservist and want to contribute to this thread, PLEASE do so!

I'm interested in working for a foreign carrier such as: Cathay Pacific, Emirates, KLM, BA, Virgin Atlantic, etc. I am currently a reservist on active duty by choice (the unit is not activated). Eventually, I'd like to join one of these airlines. Here are my questions:

1) Do you commute to your job?
2) How does your civilian employer treat time away from the company to perform military duties? In other words, does it count as unpaid leave or are you required to use vacation days? Are they problematic? Is your seniority or your QOL at the airline negatively affected as a result of this?
3) How does your unit feel about your job and any lengthy commute involved?
4) Do you have serious problems fulfilling military duties? If so, what is causing the problem(s) (other than a lengthy commute)?

I thought about posting this on the military forum. However, that forum is geared more towards actual military flying.

Thanks for the help guys!
Skyward80

Can't answer the reservist question. But do you have your JAA and right to work/abode in Europe? If not, you can pretty much forget about going to work for BA, KLM, Virgin, or any other European airline. Unless of course it is a contract job where the agency takes care of that for you.

Also, do you speak Dutch? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is a requirement to get on at KLM, like being fluent in French is required at AF, German at LH, etc.

I know, I don't need to be reminded, there was a time about 15 or so years ago when KLM hired a bunch of Americans and validated their ratings and waived the language requirement, but I don't think you will ever see that again at a European legacy carrier.

I speak Dutch and have a few family members at KLM who are encouraging me to apply. Of course, with JAA license conversion and working out a work permit situation, it will be an uphill battle.

Skyward80

So if your unit gets activated are you out of a job?

If you are asking me, then no. They would put me on unpaid leave like any carrier would.

Best thing about being in a training unit flying training airplanes is that the chances of that are very slim.

Emirates would definitely NOT be doable for a reservist with military obligations. You must live in Dubai with no significant ability to trade and swap trips around. Also, the company has no US ties (obviously) and would be unreceptive to requests for time off. Otherwise, the schedule isn't too bad.

Latest resources

Back