Flying Turboprops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sundowner

Can anyone suggest some reference sources to learn more about flying turboprops? Specifically, how a pilot uses/manages all the levers and instruments, when to do what, etc. My experience is jets and pistons. Turboprops seem a lot more complex and I can't find anything on the how-to's, techniques, etc.

Thanks!

There's an excellent book called "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" (or something to that effect). I forget who wrote it. It has a blue cover.
Anyhow, I've seen it several times and it's excellent. I wish I had heard about it when I first transitioned to turbines. You can probably find it at Sportys or one of those type places.

There isn't that much difference between jets and turboprops when it comes to controls and instruments. You just add the condition levers (similar to fuel control lever on a jet) and a prop control lever. On most larger T-props, the condition lever and prop control are combined. For instruments, instead of EPR you have Torque and prop speed. Instrad of N1, N2 you have NH (high spool) and NL (low spool).

If you have any specific questions, put them up and we'll try to answer them for you.
G'luck

Last edited:
The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual

The second edition is out, come's with aircraft system CD-ROM .

Book by Gregory N. Brown and Mark J. Holt
Iowa State University Press

Good Book...
Barnes & Noble has it.

The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual, written by Greg Brown and Mark Holt.

The ISBN # is 0-8138-2900-3 you can find it on Amazon.com.

Great book...

IMHO,

The with the exception of the prop, the turbo-props are not any more complex than a transport category jet. The difference comes in the operation of the aircraft. With those big speed brakes out there on the wings, the aircraft requires a lot more attention to flying and basic handling. Every power or configuration change on the big turboprops almost always results in the need to trim at least two axis. Certainly no flying with your feet on the floor in turbo-props.

Having flown both turbo-props and jets, I'd definitly say the turbo-props are harder to fly. It is tough to appreciate until you actually get to fly it. Be ready to use your feet, and practice using your feet in conjunction with every power change, before reaching for trim. Be ready for that first V1 cut where the auto-feather doesn't work. It'll be a hand full.

All that being said, I love flying the turbo-props. You can horse them around the sky a lot more, and generally have fun.

If you have allready flown turbine equipment, then the turbine pilots flight manual will be useless for you, in my opinion. HOnestly, if you have flown jets, and piston props, then you have flown turboprops because they are a combination of both of those. It's kinda like a jet with a prop in the front, nothing new there. It starts and runs like a jet, but has a reduction gear and a prop with it's separate controls. Honestly, you don't need another textbook, except for the one they will give you in class.

Good luck to you.

Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual

I found the book on www.amazon.com. It's about $5 cheaper than bn.com and $12 cheaper than retail.

I remember my V1 cut in the Citation. Strange, after flying light twins when you stop if you lose one on the takeoff roll.

TPFM is the best book and recommended reading!

It'll help you make sense out of the systems BEFORE you hit ground school where your understanding of those systems are contingient on keeping your job!

Braniff

Thanks to all for the responses. I checked out TPFM at Barnes and Noble today. I notice that it has a lot more good info than just turboprop. But it was only the first edition. I'm ordering the second edition through Amazon.

But here's a question I'm puzzled about with turboprops since I haven't flown them. I've always had good success flying (particularly instrument approaches) by having some ballpark power gouges (FF in jets; RPM or MP in pistons depending on the prop). Then fine tune changes from there. But what would you use in a turboprop? At first I thought FF, then I read about torque settings. And what about the prop? This is the part I'm hoping I can get some technique help with, especially from those of you who do it for a living.

Thanks again!

Torque and RPM

I don't know what type of turboprop you'll be flying, but I've only flown the PT6 and TPE331. Generally speaking, you'll just set different combinations of Torque and RPM. It's easy.

With the TPE331 you set a "target torque" on takeoff, set EGT for climb (torque will continue to decrease as you climb due to density...), then in cruise you set the RPM and EGT. On the descent you set Torque as you will during the approach and landing.

I guess every engine is different, your IOE check-airman should give you some real good tips.

Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back