• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying in India

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My experience with Indian contract flying is limited but thought that I'd pass it on.

I have spoken to a few pilots who did a year at Air India on the B777 and heard tales of broken/changed contracts and unpaid salaries.

I had some contact with Jet Airways and was not impressed. I was offered a B777 TRE job based in Europe. When I told them that I would require a work permit as I had no right to work there, was told that I was on my own to procure the required documentation. Among other things, the contract, other than the pay was pretty onerous. I also got the distinct impression that they are planning on a very limited use of expats and that the contract would most probably not be renewed. The previous reprint from PPRUNE seemed pretty accurate from what I understand. Overall, I did not come away with a very good impression.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long to expect it to take from interview to going to training with Kingfisher airlines?

freight dork....for KF is takes at least 3-4 months for the whole process to get done and that's because you need a security clearance to work in India. The security clearance there takes about 6-8 weeks to get done.

It took me about a month to get my clearance in Pune, but at least I was already there and getting paid while waiting

Question?

Tiger in Singapore and Vietnam Airlines are doing upgrading for FO's in your position, another option is a direct command (if A320 typed) at Qatar, they pay 12K USD per month and supply housing (a villa). Call me if you are interested in Qatar, my friend with no A320 time just got hired in the L/H seat, said the training is superb.

Would you please tell me more about the contracts around the Middle East...Do have Airbus time...Thanks..ICAO

I don't know a lot about jobs in the ME, Emirates, Qatar and Etihad are actively hiring, with some command time in the A320 you can go straight to a wide body L/H seat, this is not contract work, you are working for the airline.

Do some research, I know many people that have worked there or still work there, the message is STAY AWAY.

Would you please tell me more about the contracts around the Middle East...Do have Airbus time...Thanks..ICAO

Air Arabia in Sharjah, Jazeera in Kuwait, and Qatar are all recruiting on the A320. Etihad and Emirates on the A330. All airlines have their own websites and do their own hiring, not contract.

Do some research, I know many people that have worked there or still work there, the message is STAY AWAY.

Depends what you are after in life and in your career. As a first choice a young pilot from the USA should certainly choose Fedex, UPS, and others over a life as an expat. Same holds true for a national of any country with a decent flag carrier or choice of jobs at home. Expat jobs, do however, work for certain people depending on circumstances.

Emirates has been great for me and I would make the same decision again. Etihad offers a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a rapidly growing international airline.

India contract jobs will only last as long as it takes for those companies to train their own pilots. True statement for just about any foreign company hiring expats, but some countries/airlines will take longer to get the numbers necessary to nationalize. The Middle East is currently the better long term bet. For instance EK trains around 50-60 cadets per year while needing over 300 total pilots per year. A cadet will take at least 8 years, more likely 10 until he/she qualifies for Captain.

Typhoonpilot

What about Club One Air, A R Airways? I have been to the website but am looking for more info. Anyone know about the company? The contract? Living in Mumbai vs Delhi?

Latest resources

Back