Flying for the U.N or IMF/Redcross etc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Where can I find information on flying for the UN, IMF or other international agencies? Has anyone been in these positions?
What has your experience been like?

Hi Shon7,

Shortly after concluding my commercial ticket I considered that very same thing. I initially contacted the Peace Corp and was amazed to find they had little use for pilots, they mostly want doctors, dentist, nurses or teachers etc… who can go in a teach or pass on a skill to impoverished people and places. But the lady I was communicating with suggested on organization called “The World Relief Organization” who operated relief flight, air ambulance operations and volunteer charter flights throughout the world. This group also works on contract to the UN and NATO when needed.

But after contacting them I was told they require a CAA or JAA license, because they mostly fly into or out of Europe, Africa and the Mid-East. They also had substantially high minimums for someone carrying a CAA/JAA license not already employed by a jet operators or regional turboprop carrier, about 1,200 total time and 250 multi.

And they required several documents including a European work permit, so I just gave up and started flying jumpers and sightseers on the weekends and working at my father’s law office during the week.

Good luck with the search though.

PS If I still had the contact info I would give it to you, but that was nearly three years ago and it has since been tossed with the trash.

James

1,200 hours total time and 250 multi isn't high time; it's barely enough time to switch from diapers to real cloth, and to learn how to open the aircraft door.

Considering the environment that many such operators have to work with, including the runway conditions, political conditions, and potential maintenance issues, requiring a pilot to hold the bare minimum expeirence level (come to think of it, that's bare minimum for a part 135 PIC under IFR, for an entry level job), it's not unreasonable, in the least.

You have what they are looking for...call AirServe out of Redlands, CA. Who knows where you will go but it will be remote, lonely, but you will fly. Sudan, Kenya, Mozambique, Congo,Angola, Russia, and I am sure by now Afganistan.

Not to discourage you but I thought you had 1200 hours. With just 150 hours they will let you help load the cargo, Avbug was right.

Latest resources

Back