flying animals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aggie Joke...

Did you guys hear the one about the Aggie who was flying around with a load of chickens???

Just kidding, but there might be a good joke in there somewhere...:)

Well, you gonna finish yours or not?!

How about the one where two Aggies were landing an airliner at Easterwood?

They were cleared to land. It was a nice VMC day. The captain was flying and looked out front to the runway. "Runway's in sight", but he wasn't real comfortable with what he saw.

He asked the FO to give him flaps 10. Proceeding with the approach, he began to get more nervous. flaps 30 please. Landing gear down, etc...

They were on short final now. The FO was becoming a little nervous seeing how his Aggie buddy was really sweating this landing.

Captain asked for full flaps very emphatically. FO complied and kind of braced himself as they approached the runway.

They touched down as close to the apch end as possible. As soon as the wheels were planted on the ground, the captain stomped on the brakes, used all the reverse thrust they had, spoilers, everything... The plane just rolled to a stop just prior to running off the far end.

After a moment or two of regaining their composure, the Aggie captain said, "man, that was a short runway." The FO looked out each cockpit side window and said, "...yea, but wasn't it a wide one!"

skeezer,

Your thought about the fact that the chickens in flight inside the airplane would not increase the mass of the airplane, just the lift the wings of the airplane would need to make is interesting. Maybe there should be an alarm attached to the TCAS the goes off when you get a traffic alert. That way all the chickens would start flying and the airplane would be more maneuverable because of the lower mass.

Anyone want to figure out how much heavier a large airliner is pressurized verses unpressurized up at cruise? My guess is several hundered pounds.

Scott

Hmm, my chickens have never been very great at flying, and the odds of having them all in the air at the same time is slim to none!

FedEx does do a lot of animal charters and at Tigers we used to haul lots of animals, including chickens. Usually we hauled the baby chicks, though. Most of the FedEx charters are either zoo, seaworld stuff or cattle and horses.

Flying Pigs

In my days at AirNet I flew pigs more then once.

Everytime I flew them I was reminded in good heartedness that each one was worth over $10,000.00!!!! (Pigs are used for heart valves at the mayo clinic)

Any way on the way from Columbus to Rochester, MN in my favorite Navajoe I climbed to 12000' (no headwinds:). All was fine in the climb out (contray to the saying Pigs don't like to fly), they were making ALOT of noise. About 30 min into the flight I don't hear anything, 20 min. later it regestered what that might mean:eek: I turn around to find a dozen hypoxic pigs opps...:p

It was about that time I thought lower might be better for this trip. At 8000' the ride sucked and you know what... they didn't like the ride. All the pigs do is complain.

Now I can say I've seen Pigs fly.

Hmm, we were always told that pigs are extremely sensitive to pressure changes, etc. We would keep the cabin under 5,000' or so and keep the pressure changes as slow as possible. Glad I always had 3 packs running with these animal charters, don't envy doing them in small stuff. We carry 180 head of cattle on the MD-11 at times, you need all the airflow you can get! We raise the cabin to 10k periodically to dump the old air and exercise the outflow valves and keep the temp down.

Tigers

My dad used to fly for tigers, he was chief pilot for a while. Is it true that the FE had to go down and give the pigs gum before decent?

Scott

If your dad's first name is "Gary", I flew with him as well! Don't recall any "gum", what was that story?

I read in Airliners Magazine once about a DC6 Capt. in the 50's flying a load of monkeys-they used their livers to make polio vaccine back then.Anyways,he hadda go back and hold a wrench on a bolt on the inside of the door while a mech tightened it from the outside to bolt it shut,due to a bad latch.With just enough room to squeeze by the cages,the monkeys decide to voice their displeasure by pooping in their hands and and flinging it at the poor Capt.,while he urged the mech to hurry.He derived a great deal of pleasure by relishing their fate.

Skeezer-

Wow, all that incredible knowledge from a fellow Spartan!!! It's amazing to me that our school could have produced such a mind!!!

Seriously though, we are all going to miss you out here on the coast....we couldn't have asked for a better coach. Have fun in DFO!!!

Ni!

PS: How much snow will you be wearing this weekend???

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back