Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleepy

Living The Dream!
Do any of you international operators carry a flight tech? If so, where would you usually need one? Africa? South America?

Do you carry both a Flight Tech and an FA?

Do any of you who frequently operate in South America see the need for a Flight Tech there?

Thanks,

Often carried a mechanic in lieu of a FA. Pax were pretty self-sufficient and didn't require fancy meals from the mech.

TC

As a general rule, no we did not. On the occasions that we had to have an inspection while international the Director of Maintenance would airline to the location to supervise the inspection. If a serious mechanical problem occurred while on the road, both in the US or international, I would have the Director of Maintenance airline to where we were. This very seldom happened.

With the 727 on international trips we would have a PFE that had a mechanic's licenses.

We only would if we went to someplace like real Africa (not South Africa)

Product support is pretty good for every OEM these days and the issue that holds you up is getting the parts into where you are broke. I have never seen the parts beat the tech to the plane.

Now...if you have a buggy airplane it might pay to have a good tech with you?...but 99% of the issues these days seem to be re-boot/clear issues and are usually done by the pilots or over the phone with a tech.

South America - no problem...but I would have to be pretty broken (like missing a wing) to get stranded in a $hithole like 99% of Africa.

Can't say i've flown anything big enough to warrant a FA but both interviews I have had recently didnt even employ a FA, but simply hired 3 flight tech's of which would be onboard for every international trip. And I thought 135 flying kept me away from home.....can't imagine the lifestyle of those guys.

We only use a flight tech that doubles as a FA. We do visit some third world places, but even in Europe a flight tech will solve a mechanical problem faster and cheaper than flying someone in.

We don't carry a tech on trips anymore. They tend to be more of a PITA than an old crotchety FA. They just aren't needed.

Latest resources

Back