Flight Schools (ERAU, Comair)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mcc31

I am working on my initial training in San Diego, but I'm planning on moving to Florida and comtinuing my training to get all my ratings there. I was planning on going to Embry Riddle, but heard that it was overpriced and not worth it. I heard that Comair in Orlando was a good school also, but cheaper. I was just wondering if ERAU was worth the money or not. Are there any other schools in FLA that are well priced where I can get all my ratings?

ERAU is an accredited university where you you can many types of degrees that happen to have aviation applications. It is expensive, but what high technology college isn't. You can get your flight training done cheaper with probably the same quality elsewhere, but when you put the whole experience together I think it is worth it (or any other of the well known college-flight schools). Comair makes promises they can't keep. Guarrenteed employment?

University of North Dakota produces a lot of NASA people. Perdue and the University of Minnesota also have good reps. Florida has a great many instructors right now.

However, if you are starting as a freshman, my guess is that aviation will be back on track before you graduate, and probably soon enough for you to have students to instruct as your instructors get flying jobs. If you have the money, ERAU is indeed a fine school. I may do a distant learning degree with them.

After you decide, come back and post your experiences and decision making process.

There is enough material on this board about this subject to fill a small ocean. Do a search, and I think you'll find more opinons than you could ever want.

I am currently at ERAU, overall it has a good atmosphere, but take my advice, don't do the flight program, save some money and do it off campus. Take a course of study at ERAU that intrests you (I know someone that wants to be an Professional Pilot, but is taking the ATC degree), personally I am taking Computer Science.

There are many acadamies here in Florida, and with the exception of ATA (nothing personal just what I heard) almost all of them have good reputations. Do what you think would be best for you.

Also PM me if you want more indepth ERAU information.

ERAU is a great school. It gave me many opportunites that most other schools wouldn't have. It allowed me to intern at Continental Airlines and complete DC-9 training during a summer between years of school, get hired at Continental Express at 21 years old and hired at NWA at 25 years old. Every time I went to an aviation interview they always liked that fact that I went to ERAU. I would go there above anywhere else.

I went to ERAU and I'm now a Comair Captain. I think Riddle is good, but I do suggest Comair if you want to save money. Comair does hire a lot of their grads.

The Regulator is absolutely right...and so is everyone else on this. I graduated in '92 and it was a great school and overpriced. It is all about what you are looking for. FIT, Florida Institute of Technology, and several other schools in Florida allow you to get your ratings much quicker and then instruct while going to school for free.
My two cents is take a week and go down there to check out all the schools and who will offer you the best package for you. The regulator is obviously a go-getter, meant as a compliment, and the exception rather than the rule. I did find ERAU always had many options readily available to help you in whatever way you wanted to go. I happened on ROTC and it worked for the career path I wanted. Find your niche in whatever school and go with it. After 10+ years I think it was a good choice but 100K+ for four years and all ratings is a little excessive to me. Luckily the governmment picked up half and with loans I only have to pay until the year 2275 to pay it off, J/K.
Good luck and look at the long term in your decisions-

What helped me save money was that fact that I did most all of my flight training out side of Riddle and I just went there for the Aeronautical Science degree. Not doing the flying at Riddle probably saved me about $10,000 The Aero Science classes were great and help me out even now when I go through a ground school on a new aircraft. I am sure all of the other schools are great too, but from my personal experience, I would say Riddle (especially the Prescott campus) is great.

Latest resources

Back