• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

flight bags

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On short day flights, I just clip everything I need to my kneeboard and strap the ol DC's on. No bag needed.

Once you get your private certificate, make sure you make a habit of NOT carrying your logbook with you. It can/will add a lot of unnecessary hassle if you get ramped.

Well I'm probally going to go out on a limb here and recommend a bag. I personally enjoy the flight bag Seirria from Cencal, it doesn't cost too much $40-50 and it has lasted a while.

Until you start doing cross countries all you need to bring with you for the flights are your headset, logbook, medical, pen/pencil, chart, checklists, clipboard, and finally your checkbook. All this you can keep in a small bag (I used a logbook cover that my family got me).

By the time you are ready to take your private checkride you should have along with what you normally have:
-PTS book
-The FAA flight manuevers book
-AFD
-E-6B
-Plotter
-Fuel tester(if needed)
-Small claculator
-stop watch/wrist watch(if the plane is not equipped)
-Flashlight with red filter
-Extra batteries for anything electronic

All of this can fit in a backpack, or if you are so inclinded a flight bag. I found that the one that I recommend will fit just about, and it is generally pretty orginized.

As far as headset case, it all depends on how well you would treat it. If you baby it you just need a slip cover. If you will use it as a Kung Fu weapon you might want a padded or hardshell case. For most people (assuming yours will fit in the pocket, not familiar with the DC ANR line) they just stick their in the pocket of the flight bag, or stick them in their back packs.

Your best bet go down the your local pilot supply store (or make a road trip if there is a big one nearby), and check out how big each one really is. Bring your headset, and logbook in (ask them first) and stick them in the bags see how well they fit. When you find one that meets your needs and budget buy it.

I highly suggest though get a smaller one (about the size of a gym bag max) because you are going to need to get it in and out of airplanes. Also you are going to have to take in to from the airport on your back and your side. You need to consider that before you buy it.

Logbook and getting ramped:

After you get your certificate you only need to bring with you; your medical and pilot certificate. Bringing your logbook allows the inspector to take a look at it, and if hes in a mood (they always seem to be in a mood) to ground/violate you for a mistake that you might have done logging time years or thousands of hours ago.

The only time that you need a logbook is for showing currency to carry passengers, and there you only need to show your last three landings and takeoffs. The most common way to do that is just to write them on a cocktail napkin, or a photocopy of a blanck logbook page.

Last edited:
FAR 61.51 (i):
Presentation of required documents.
(1) Persons must present their pilot certificate, medical certificate, LOGBOOK, or any other record required by this part for inspection upon a reasonable request by-
(i) The Administrator;
(ii) An authorized representative from the NTSB; or
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

Only a student pilot is required to carry a logbook and that is only on solo flights. At no time is a private pilot or higher required to have their logbook on person to show landing currency, instrument currency. However, as stated previously, you could "make" a new logbook out of a napkin to show currency if you wanted to. Even though we now have a "kinder, gentler" FAA, there is still no reason to provide any more info than neccasary. These FAA people who ramp check you are charged with keeping aviation safe. Getting busted by the FAA (which would have to be rare in a case involving an honest pilot and his/her logbook(s)) is not going to look good on the airline apps. Also, having your logbook always in one place reduces the chance of loss, theft, burning up in a plane crash, etc.

Yeah, I do hope that I won't have to worry about that burning up in a plane crash part;) . Thanks for the explanations. One last thing: what kind of things would they look for in a logbook during the ramp and what kind of mistakes or entries would be looked down upon?

Latest resources

Back