Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Brett Hull

Pastafarian
I'm not trying to stir up any trouble here, but I have a question for you airline guys. I know the unions have done a good job fighting to make the quality of life for the pilots better, but why do you regional folks keep signing contracts that allow the company to not pay the first year guys squat?

Unfortunately for me, I don't work for a union carrier.. I just got a whopping $2 an hour raise as a 2nd year FO.. Now I make.... are you ready for this.... $19 an hour!!! 75 hour guarantee and I'm pulling in an astounding $1425 a month gross.. Take away the $150 a month for insurance and state and federal taxes, and my paycheck today was for the grand total of $482.92...

Note to wife.. Thanks for making a lot more money than me!!!!!

No airline pilot makes squat thier first year. Most regionals you can expect $19-23/hour and several majors still pay in the mid 30's per hour for the first year. It wasn't even that long ago that several majors had "b" scales that ran up to 5 years of longevity. The regional airline concept is still relatively new. Many regional carriers have only been unionized for a handful of years and only working off of thier first or second contract. Major airline pilots have significant barganing power and have been negotiating for 50+ years. Regionals haven't had much barganing power until recently (i.e. Comair) and with continued negotiation over the next 20 years or so getting a job at a regional won't be so bad. Unfortunaly first year guys will always lose out. Probationary members aren't alowed to vote and members that do vote don't want to waste barganing power on something that will never effect them.

Ok you may flame away at me for this but in my humble opinion dirt pay for first year Regional or Major for that matter is nothing more than PFT mandated by the airline. Your first year pay is docked about the same amount it costs the airline to train you. Being a conservative and previous law partner in business I understand its all about money. Airlines do it because they can and it helps the bottom line. I just would expect a Union to be a better advocate for ALL their members not just those past the first year. Hey I'm willing to do it so I really am not complaining too much just say'n the way I see it. I too am glad my wife makes more than me. I consider myself paid fairly well for what I do. When and if I get to make the jump to the majors I can take a 50% pay cut during the first year. With two young boys I don't know if I could do this aviation gig without a wife that makes good money. Just my opinion from someone who is going a second time around at this aviation gig paying my dues.

Chow,

KlingonLRDRVR

Dirty Words!

Ahhh......those dirty words again, PAY FOR TRAINING.

Everybody Pays For Training, in one way or another. It's part of the job.

Aloha!:cool:

KlingonLRDRVR said:
When and if I get to make the jump to the majors I can take a 50% pay cut during the first year.
KlingonLRDRVR

KlingonLRDRVR,

That's what I thought until I was furloughed during the first year. Now I would be happy to get off first year pay in only ONE year.

R.F.

The mid 90's first year salary for the Majors was 24-28 thousand.
The current first year regional salary is about 18-20 thousand.

I agree that the pay is ridiculous and the company takes advantage of the "ability" to hire at these low rates just because it's a job people want to do rather than have to do. Everyone knows, except the public, that McDonalds pay's more to flip burgers than the Regionals pay their first year pilots.

However...The process is continuous and will continue to improve over time. Nothing happens overnight exept at UPS and FEDEX.

The regional industry has just been "uncovered" over the past 5 years. I believe within the next 5 to 10 years you'll find quite suitable careers at the regional carriers due to the importance of the role they play in revenue.

Old Crow said:
The mid 90's first year salary for the Majors was 24-28 thousand.
The current first year regional salary is about 18-20 thousand.

I agree that the pay is ridiculous and the company takes advantage of the "ability" to hire at these low rates just because it's a job people want to do rather than have to do. Everyone knows, except the public, that McDonalds pay's more to flip burgers than the Regionals pay their first year pilots.

However...The process is continuous and will continue to improve over time. Nothing happens overnight exept at UPS and FEDEX.

The regional industry has just been "uncovered" over the past 5 years. I believe within the next 5 to 10 years you'll find quite suitable careers at the regional carriers due to the importance of the role they play in revenue.

Well said. Times are changing... sit down and hang on!

Latest resources

Back