• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, Well I figured I'd tell you guys about my first flight since I've been asking you all sorts of questions.

It was totally awesome!!! I think I found a great school - part 141. I was a little nervous at first. The flight I scheduled was an introductory flight at the spur of the moment since the weather was good today. I started to calm down a little after helping with the preflight checklists. I guess I felt a little more secure knowing the plane looked airtworthy and we checked everything inside and out as best we could before taxiing.

The plane was the usual Cessna 172 skyhawk. I learned how not so easy it is to just taxi to the runway. I was nervous for takeoff, but was surprised to see how easily the plane lifted off the ground at only 50-55 knots. I kept checking the vertical speed indicator and airspeed to keep double checking that we were indeed climbing since I couldn't see the horizon out front with the nose pitched up.

Once airborne, I got to take the controls for the rest of the flight. We cruised around a little. I learned straight and level flight, coordinated turns. I also was amazed at how smooth the ride was. It think most of my fears were laid to rest when the instructor cut the engine to idle and I saw that we didn't just drop out of the sky! Just kept gliding!

The best part for me was approaching the airport and setting up to land. I thoroughly loved entering into the appoach pattern, entering the downwind leg, etc. Turning from base onto final was so cool as I watched the runway line up for a smooth landing. Ofcourse the instructor was at the controls during touchdown - but wow- what a great experience!!!

I'm am totally hooked now. already signed up for lessons. the airport is a controlled airport with air traffic control and a little more traffic than a smaller, rural, uncontrolled airport. I figure that would also give me good practice from the get go.

I know this was a long thread, but I just had to share my experience!!

If you guys have any suggestions or pointers, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Steve

P.S. No. flight hours 0.6 (he,he)

Take as many lessons as you can per week, try to solo by 12 hrs or less, 141 is great for private. I did it in 1982 and was licensed after 35hrs on the nose. You are going to love it! Just get into safe habits like using checklists and airspeed management. The rest will come, get the written out of the way as soon as you can. Change instructors to get a feel for what others are like then stick with the one that best suites you. Good Luck!

Very few solo in only 12 hours. Don't be worried about it if it doesn't happen in that short of time.

Congrats on what will be the first of many countless flights! You'll remember this one as much as you will your first solo.

Wiggims is right - take your time and don't rush things. ('Course don't let moss grow between your toes between lessons either)

With your thoughtful, cautious attitude, you'll make a superb pilot!

Keep flying

Terrific! I learned how to fly at a controlled field, so learning to work with tower and ground came in stride. As the others said, try to fly often, on a regular schedule, if possible. Get your medical and start working on the Private written. No reason why you can't finish by summer.

Good luck with your flying and training.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back