FedEx Short Pilots

USNFDX

Purple Member
Total Time
4000+
Just called By Crew scheduling and asked if I could pick up some trips at time and half this weekend even though I start upgrade on Tuesday. I asked what was up since a couple months ago 727 FE would fly maybe 1 or 2 times in entire month while on reserve. You literally couldn't swing Dead Cat without hitting one of us. I was told that everbody is in training for upgrades and they are starting to get very thin in many areas. Hopefully this will translate into more hiring!

T45Flyer

Fair and Balanced...
Total Time
Lotsa
Run!!!!!!

Watchout Slacker!!!!!! Theres a Horney Goat on Crack under your name!!!!!! HAHAHA

rtseatrich

Total Time
8,400+
THANKS FOR INTEL!

I'm happy to hear FDX needs some pilots.
I have an interview on the 19th and 20th.
Any idea how many they are planning on hiring this year?
Any idea how many are left in the pool?
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Rich
:)

eeyore

Total Time
I've been told the pool is empty -- except for those affected by the military stop-loss issue. Also told that the hiring number is up to 500 -- they are going to be carrying a lot more postal -- need pilots fast....

Wozin8or

Total Time
some
Fedex Pool

The pool has got to be empty after the two April classes. I know someone from the last interview group in Oct that is in the April 8th class. Good luck! And keep-em coming!

NightFlyer

Total Time
5000+
Where did you hear that we are hiring 500. I was told around 250, but I hope your right.

NightFlyer

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Total Time
If rumors were packages at FedEx we'd all have a job!

The 250/350/500/700 numbers get tossed around nightly in conversations around the AOC. Only official word I have heard since indoc is 250, which Jack Lewis (system chief pilot) said he'd like to have. He indicated more might be a possibility as economy rebounds, but company hates to hire ahead of demand curve (which is nice in that so far there has never been a furlough).

Anecdotally, I've bumped into several pilots on the bus to and from the AOC that have been drafted for trips....MD11 captains, 727 FOs, and 727 SOs (which hasn't happened in MONTHS) that had all been called in for extra work. I have no way of knowing if the 200-250 pilots will be enough to "fix" the requirement for overtime, but at least the trend seems positive.

Other rumor concerns next upgrade bid. This bid was "rumored" for Oct, then Nov, then Jan, then Feb, then Mar. Here we are half way to April and I have yet to see an FCIF on the bid. (I almost passed up a DC10 s/o slot this summer thinking I'd have a shot at this bid...glad I went a ahead and grabbed it!) Some discussions indicate the big issue is whether or not to open an LA MD11 domicile, and if so, how large to make the operation. Again...rumor is once the bean counters and operations folks decide on the LA question THEN we might see a bid.

In the meantime...I'm glad to be there. I've heard from wiser than me, however, to take all rumors with a grain of salt...or as someone else said "believe it when you see it painted purple and parked on the ramp".

Good luck to all.

Albie

slowdryver

Total Time
9000+
There are going to be 2 classes of 12 until May, which is the end of the year at FedEx. Then decisions will be made as far as hiring when the new budget gets done.

Shem Malmquist
Total Time
Albie

Are you all done with IOE now and on the line?

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Total Time
Yep....check your private mail.

USNFDX

Purple Member
Total Time
4000+
April is 2 classes of 16
May is NOW 2 classes of 24
Solid rumor!

fox3

Total Time
????
I sure hope so, then -maybe- there will be another bid. You know, the one that was supposed to happen in October.

VaB

Total Time
More fuel for the rumor fire

I was in the palace the other day and was listening to a couple of instructors talking. He said that he was told the BOD still was on the fence about the LA domicile and the next bid should be out within 10 days (this was a few days ago), either a bid with the LA domicile, or one without. The only reason I even gave this gossip any thought was because he said how they've got to get a new bid going because this huge training cycle that we are in now is ending in the summer and they need to be ready to go.

Well, no more time for rumors, back to the books. I've got to quit sitting in the simulator saying "Hey, where's this thing going now?"

RocketRob

Total Time
Any guesses about the possible LA base in regards to what type or equipment / flying will be there? also how senior do you think the base will be? and on another side note, how hard is the FDX commute from the Best coast? LA area specifically?

Thanks FDX hopefull.

Rob

FalconPilot69

Total Time
Some
Requirements

Could anyone tell me what the realistic requirements are for Fed-Ex? I was one of the lucky ones that got a great jet job until 9/11 and was unlucky in losing that job like many others out there. Just a snap shot, I have 1925 TT with 755 turbine.

Thank you for any input.

Shem Malmquist
Total Time
LAX would be an MD-11 base, and very senior.

Commuting from SoCal is fairly easy as there are multiple flights from LAX, ONT, BUR, SNA and LGB.

The min requirements can be found at http://pilot.fedex.com and if you have that and a pilot referral you are probably in ok shape.

Spur

Total Time
3000+
FPA's VP posted a message today that all the issues concerning the LA domicile have been resolved, and that it is a go. The bid should be posted in the near future, and apparently will have little effect on ANC.

reepicheep

Total Time
Regarding FedEx - I worked briefly for Tigers in '87 before there was even a whisper about the merger, then left for USAir (don't ask). Because of this I have been told don't even bother applying to FedEx; what do you think?

Shem Malmquist
Total Time
Reep,

I think whoever told you that is wrong, doesn't make any sense. What was your Tiger class date, two people from my class left for USAir.

reepicheep

Total Time
profile said:
Reep,

I think whoever told you that is wrong, doesn't make any sense. What was your Tiger class date, two people from my class left for USAir.
04/13/1987. Myself and several others in the class came from Westair. I remember one guy, in a remarkable burst of prescience, left for a little airline called Southwest.

Btw, the Tigers ground school instructors were the best! Never had so much fun. On the 747 we had this one Englishman who really missed his calling; he was another Benny Hill!

I left in late May for USAir.

Last edited: