FedEx Seat Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx1 said:
More rumors..... that when we move the asian base to China, MD-10's will be the aircraft out there, not the Airbus......

Uh, thats not a rumor, that has been the plan all along. MD-11, A-380 will do the ocean crossings and the -10's intra-Asia.

The question is...will China be a base or will it be SIBA?

It's always a rumor until it is painted purple and sitting on the ramp. Heck, the plan was to get rid of the 727's in 1989.... Just trying to get out the info, and confuse as few as possible!

To add to that... keep a domicile in asia, but no one has said where. May not be in mainland China. I don't think they have it figured out.

I had heard from a check airman this week the seat bid was coming out Aug 5 for 100 widebody capts. No telling how many people would move with that.

Enough trash talk, lets make a bet...

Junior MD11 FO at each base? A300 FO? Widebody and 727 captain? I'll throw out I think JR 727 captain will be May 02 hire...(optimistic but the stakes are play money here...) The Class of 96 will get their first widebody captain.

Alright Albie, you're on. Junior Wide body (both 11 and 300) will be a summer hire this year (class date before end of july). I'll give you 3 years to Capt of 72, and I'll go 5 years to Capt MD-11, but will be ANC.

Echopapa A commuter pilot has probably flown glass said:
This is not entirely true. American Eagle has a pilot base in SJU. 95% of our flights at SJU go to and from international destinations. I flew there for 2 years. There are several different countries represented in the Carribbean. These are just my thoughts.

profile said:
Carribean, by agreement, uses U.S. ATC procedures.

This is true in Puerto Rico, STT, and STX, but not in all the other islands in the Carribean. Once you get outside these 3, you are under ICAO rules. We flew all the way down the island chain from Tortola, to Trinidad and Tobago, and everything in between, and they were under ICAO.

Sometimes we even fly to California. If that doesn't qualify as International, I don't know what will.

The entire area is _supposed_ to use U.S. phraseology and procedures by LOA (an argument that was actually promulgated by FAA ATS management as a reason the U.S. shouldn't switch to ICAO terminology, you sort out that logic!), and if you look at the country differences, you'll see the local rules for each of the locations in the Carribean closely follow U.S. procedures. Sure, they're under ICAO, so is the U.S., but the U.S. publishes more exceptions to ICAO than just about any other country in the World.

Having flown both the area you're talking about and the "hard core" International on the other side of the planet, you're really talking apples and oranges here.

This sounds like some of the other arguments I've heard:

Is FedEx a major or cargo airline?

Is _________ (insert favorite large regional airline) a commuter or major airline?

Is Carribean international or domestic flying?

I just thought that when we were climbing out of FL 40 and setting the altimeter to 29.92, we were flying international. I've never seen this in the U.S. When we came back to SJU, we had to go through customs and immigration to enter the U.S. I thought that was international flying. Our flight ops were all flag operations rather than domestic according to our flight manual and ops specs.

I guess there are two sides to any argument.

Latest resources

Back