• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Air travelers re-screened at Louisville International Airport
02/19/2002

Passengers were delayed by the rescreening process.
Passengers at Louisville International Airport had to be re-screened Tuesday after it was discovered at 6:45 a.m. that a security screener had fallen asleep. According to the Federal Aviation Administration, 1000 passengers had to go back through the security process before boarding their planes.

Airport spokeswoman Rande Swann said only persons who were beyond the security checkpoint on the concourses and on the airplanes, including the crews, were brought through security and screened again. The flights were being held until the passengers completed the screening process.

On Sunday, the federal government took over security at the nation’s airports. The screening equipment belongs to the federal government, rather than the airlines, and security employees are monitored by the newly-formed Transportation Security Administration. By Nov. 19, federal employees will replace workers employed by a private company called Globe Aviation. Security workers at the Louisville airport are still employed by the private company.

The Transportation Security Administration is investigating the incident.

Stay tuned to WHAS11 News for more details on this story.

Web story produced by Lisa Durham

re screening

If I used this opportunity to get a weapon past security I'm not going to take it back so why re-screen

DTW

I don't think this is an isolated sleeping incident. I was in DTW last Nov. heading down one of those escalators towards baggage claim to catch a van, and the guy at the top sitting in the chair "securing" that exit to the concourse was asleep. There were some pax infront of me that noticed as well, and they did an omg sigh. I purposely hit my bag against the side of the escalator to make some noise and wake the guy up. I can imagine that is a pretty boring job..but comon already... :eek:

I like in ATL how they have those motion sensors to detect opposite motion through the exit. Of course, they still have the sleeping 85 year old security guard, but the motion sensors are an added level of safety. I wonder if more airports will catch on.

The next screener I catch sleeping, I'm gonna walk up to him, nudge him, and say "Sir, please take off YOUR shoes"

Maybe I can get him down to his skivvies If I threaten to tell his supe. Hehe:D

Update Part II

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Early morning flights out of Louisville International Airport were delayed Tuesday so a thousand passengers could be rescreened because a security employee was reported to have fallen asleep, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

An employee reported that he thought there had been a security breach, said Rande Swann, an airport spokeswoman.

"Apparently a screener was found early this morning to be sleeping at his or her post. And the result, the concourse had to be cleared and a number of passengers rescreened," said Kathleen Bergen of the FAA in Atlanta.

Calls seeking comment from representatives of the company that handles security, Globe Aviation, were not immediately returned.

"They are checking people back through, and we have long lines anyway at this time of day so it's likely to take two hours to rescreen everybody plus the other flights that are scheduled to go out," Swann said.

The rescreenings began about 6:45 a.m. The airport has 23 to 25 scheduled departures between 6 and 8 a.m., and "almost all airlines held their flights," Swann said.

Bergen said about 1,000 people had to go through the security screening a second time. By about 9:30 a.m., a line stretched more than 200 yards through the terminal, extending past the ticketing stations and doubling back.

"That just happens, I guess," said Rick Ahlrichs, of Cincinnati.

Susan Rider, of Louisville, vice president of sales for a software company, was headed to Atlanta on business and had been in line for 2 hours.

"I've missed two meetings," she said. "It's costing my company a lot of money."

It wasn't a fed screener that was asleep. There are no fed screeners yet.........
If you see someone asleep WAKE THEM UP and tell a GSC and a screener supervisor, there should be one at each checkpoint while passengers are processed.
For more on screening issues read further.........

[edited by Ifly4food to remove repeat post]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest resources

Back