• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilomike

Two scabs who crossed the picket line when the Screen Actors Guild went on strike:

Britney Spears (did commercials during strike--do not recall company name)

Tiger Woods (did a commercial for Buick during the strike)

I now cheer for anyone but Tiger to win because he is a scab. I have already explained to my young niece that Britney Spears is a bad woman and that she crossed the picket line. I will never buy any of Spears' music for anyone since I know she is a scab. Anyone else out there who is a celebrity who crossed the picket line? I want to know so I can avoid buying their records or going to their movies.

Thank you!

Come on man, this is rediculous. You know, sometimes a union makes a bad decision. And, sometimes people even disagree with that decision.

Some people like to stand up for their own beliefs. You shouldn't expect all to strike whenever the union says so. And, just because someone chooses not to side with the union doesn't mean they should be castrated for life.

This whole concept of a scab is rediculous. What is wrong with someone who doesn't agree with the union??? Since when was the union correct in every aspect of every decision? And, since when was it wrong for someone to have an independent opinion?

Nope, no scab here. I'm just a CFI trying to make some sense out of this.

I'm all about advancing the profession, but if a union were to take an action that fundementally crossed my beliefs, I'd be the first to cross the line.

kilomike said:
Two scabs who crossed the picket line when the Screen Actors Guild went on strike:

Britney Spears (did commercials during strike--do not recall company name)

I will never buy any of Spears' music for anyone since I know she is a scab.

Even if Spear's wasn't a scab, I hope you still wouldn't have bought any of her music. :)

boscenter said:
Nope, no scab here. I'm just a CFI trying to make some sense out of this.

I'm all about advancing the profession, but if a union were to take an action that fundementally crossed my beliefs, I'd be the first to cross the line.

If your union is doing something that you don't believe in, you'd be better off leaving the company and working somewhere else. Otherwise you'd be unfairly reaping rewards won by the union and your fellow workers. Unions aren't perfect, but they've done much to benefit airline works and passengers.

New Year

As I said on a similar post elsewhere, I was hoping we could enter into the new year without the inane name calling by those who think that others with a different point of view are obviously wrong.

Having been in this business for thirty years, I know that there are a substantial number of pilots who carry union cards that may or may not cross picket lines. They for the most part could not care less about the subject. I know a good many more from companies like Eastern and Pan American or Braniff that would love to be flying anything and who wish that the whole mess never had happened and feel like the unions left them hanging from a tree. None of this makes them any better or worse than I.

The fact is, forgetting about this industry, that union membership has consistantly dwindled for the past two decades, their original purpose long since served.

To sit here and label people that you do not know lacks maturity and a sense that you have not had to walk in others shoes very much in your life.

Give me a friggin' break. Britney and Tiger aren't even actors!!!!!! If you're going to start this *hit again then make sense with what you type.

People who cross the line are not disagreeing with their union. They are acting in direct opposition to their fellow workers who got them the pay and benefits that they enjoy at the company.

And, Publisher, people will be called scabs for as long as there are people in unions, so you might as well get used to it. I respect your 30 years in aviation, as I only have 20, but I have been on the management side as well as labor, and you sound like only management. Hearing your arguements helps me to understand why management never seems to know why the workers feel the way they do. You guys just don't get it. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back