Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

N5139

Hi folks -

Just wondering if it would be smart to re-take the ATP and Instrument written (I scored 81 and 85, respectively) if I were to apply to a foreign carrier. I hear they take those scores into account. Is it worth the effort, or will they see that it is a re-take anyways?

I was sixteen when I took one and lazy/sick when I took the other, not that it's any excuse for lack of performance on an exam with a published question bank! What a moron!

Thanks!
CRJ FO

Which foreign carrier? To fly overseas you tend to need a lot of experience. It is pretty rare to hear of a carrier that hires expat FO's without a type rating / time on the aircraft.

To answer your question specifically: Foreign carriers don't care what you scored on writtens. They just want to know you have the rating.

Thanks for the quick response -

I'm definitely aware of the fact that I have YEARS to go before applying... just recently took one of the writtens and it got me thinking about future consequence.

I've been told that Cathay asks for your ATP and instrument written scores and takes them into account for a hiring decision. Am I mistaken?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have that answer. I should have specified that all my experience is in the Gulf. I do know that Cathay has an extensive interview process, so it is entirely possible they look at scores.

We had an issue here with the local feds asking folks for instrument written results, in spite of the fact the applicant held an ATP...it got resolved...never heard of anybody else asking, but that doesnt mean they dont...anyway any retake would register as a re-take wouldn't it??? Just wait then get the ATP then apply overseas...more and more foreign carriers are not requiring type ratings and time on type, but they do require the ATP....good luck in your hunting...it's always changing over here for sure

Latest resources

Back