• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA investigating JFK air traffic controllers allowing child to direct pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought the kid did a good job. Looks like I'm not alone. You guys getting your panties in a wad need to relax a little. This profession is crappy enough on both sides on the mic.

I wonder if any consideration has been taken with suspending two qualified and experienced JFK tower controllers with the four month construction project on runway 13R/31L going on now?

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I have heard this ATC guy several times. Is he the same guy who says, "seeee ya" (serious NY accent) after asking you to contact departure?

I think all of the JFK guys/gals are very professional considering the traffic demands and the various foreign accents. What do you expect, it's New York. Just forgettaboutit....

clr4theapch, you do know we are talking about the FAA here right? They get a "mental" hard-on when it comes to investigating and violating people. Don't count on them for more important issues ....

Edit:

Any controllers out here? Is it a violation to let someone repeat instructions over the frequency if that person is being monitored?

If so then 100% of the current trainees would be in violation (as well as every studen pilot)

Total non issue?!

Safety may not have been compromised, and the idea of taking your kid to work may be cool. But this is the post 9/11 world, and this occured at JFK, not some GA airport in rural Kansas. There are things that common sense dictate that you just do not do. The fact that an air traffic controller did not have the judgement to realize that this would get out, and heads would roll over this, is what is the most scary. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who can't think more than 30 seconds ahead.

And unfortunatley I have to agree with this as well... Pre 9/11 Nobody would have cared if my wife or (if I had one) kid rode the jumpseat and watched what I do. Today TSA would have me hung in the town square without a trial for something like that.

I would prefer this then some of the newbs they got ACTUALLY controlling aircraft.

Best of the replies. Meanwhile, a 16 hour duty day is still good to land at night into weather, but thank goodness we took away the threat of some kid helping everyone stay more awake by mixing it up and throwing in some fun.

I have already voiced that exact concern to my congressman today... I think he was completely ignoring me while thinking of his next reelection slogan....

Andyd,

While the ATC folks work for the FAA, I for one certainly don't consider them the enemy.

Now the gent with the clipboard that decides to do a ramp check at 3am in the morning and who considers enforcement action because the 20-30 yr old freighter is missing a couple of OEM stickers, now that is a different story.

Latest resources

Back