• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyArmy11

Got Drag...Go Guardrail!
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a Helicopter flight school to knock out my FAA Helo ATP/CFI/CFII that has a quick 2 week program like ALL-ATPs but, for Helos. I am a dual-rated Army Aviator & have my ATP AMEL, ATP ASEL, Comm/Inst Helo & Gold Seal CFI/CFII/MEI/AGI/IGI with a few type ratings & 4,000 hours. I am currently flying A-Stars for a federal law enforcement agency so, currency isn't an issue just looking for a quick, cheap & easy school to knockout the 3 ratings soon, thanks!

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a Helicopter flight school to knock out my FAA Helo ATP/CFI/CFII that has a quick 2 week program like ALL-ATPs but, for Helos. I am a dual-rated Army Aviator & have my ATP AMEL, ATP ASEL, Comm/Inst Helo & Gold Seal CFI/CFII/MEI/AGI/IGI with a few type ratings & 4,000 hours. I am currently flying A-Stars for a federal law enforcement agency so, currency isn't an issue just looking for a quick, cheap & easy school to knockout the 3 ratings soon, thanks!

I think two weeks is a bit optimistic but this is a pretty good place in a good location.

http://tomlinsonaviation.com/flight-training/pricing/

The CFI requires touchdown autos so most schools that may have a Jet Ranger or something along those lines don't have it insured for full touchdown aout so more than likely you will wind up in a S300 or R-22. If you are in a 300 you will have to get used to manual throttle again, and from my experience and that of other students it will take 5-6 hours before you can perform all the maneuvers to standard in the 300.

I would get the ATP first since it has the most usefullness in the civilian job market, then do the CFII add on. Save the CFI for last in case you run out of time, since the FAA is pretty picky about the initial helo CFI and you may get bogged down in manuevers or book work

Eurocopter also has an Astar full motion sim. Since the ATP requires no sign off and you fly the Astar, you may be able to schedule it for a checkride if the training center is certified. I think they will charge you for three hours:

http://www.eurocopterusa.com/safety/pilot-crew-training.asp

Finally show up for training with any writtens you need completed.

Latest resources

Back