Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AKADX

Ok, let's see if I can put this simply:

I got hired by a company that runs workers to a remote site via helo. The schedule is grueling. 2 weeks on, 12 hours/day for 14 days straight. At this point, it's just helicopters, but they are building a runway that will be able to land large cargo and passenger planes, everything from C-130's to 737's.

I don't believe helo dispatchers/followers are required to be certified, so I'm assuming they aren't under the FAA guidelines for hours. However, when the runway is complete I will be required to be certified to bring in the charter passenger jets full of workers.

When that happens, aren't they, by law, going to be required to drastically reduce my hours?

I'm just trying to figure out how this is going to play out for long-term planning. I'm going to be making some pretty crazy money for a while and I don't want that to dry up when the runway is operational.

I haven't talked to my new employer's about this, mainly because I don't want them to think I'm going to bail if hours are reduced....lol.

It depends on the Air Operating Certificate. A Part 121 Supplemental Carrier doesn't require dispatchers, and there is nothing in the regulations regarding scheduling of Flight Followers or Ops Coordinators.
There are schedule limitations for Part 121 Scheduled Airlines. FAR 121.465 is the appropriate FAR. Rules for Flag Operations ie International Flights are more lenient than for Domestic Operations, as long as you are not in the contiguous 48 states or the District of Columbia.

Yeah, and I'm honestly not sure how the air carriers that bring the workers out there are certificated in this case. They are a part 121 carrier, but for this they operating charter flights under a contract that is outside of their normal scheduled flights.

Ops Spec A003 should tell you the operations that your airline can perform. If they are authorized for both scheduled and supplemental operations, it should be laid out there. If you are just working the supplemental flights and none of the dispatchers on the scheduled side work the supplemental flights, the work schedule would probably be legal.

The authority should be part of your training for the new operations to be performed.

Sounds about right. I don't work for the airline, but they are both supplemental and scheduled operations. I work for the company chartering the flights. I'm sure I'll get well and fully acquainted with it all, since I've been temporarily re-tasked with helping the head of the aviation unit develop the new runway's ops specs or whatever they are called. Start work in two weeks. Can't wait.

Latest resources

Back