Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
Im giving serious thought to joing the AF of Navy and trying to get a flying slot. Im 25 just graduated college with a 3.2 GPA. What are the major differences in the roles of these 2 a/c? Which is more fun to fly and which of the 2 does the AF have more of? Give me some numbers on both if you don't mind.

WHat all do I need to better ny chances of getting a slot? Im a CFI/II with a little over 1000 hours and about 500 dual given. Im in great physical shape, I workout and coach high school wrestling. What do I need to better my chances and make sure I pass the physical? Thanks!

Eagle Vs. Viper

Ahhh, the great debate. Which is a better jet, the Eagle or the Viper?

Since it is late, I will only give a flippant answer--I'm sure (after the flames have subsided) we will provide more concrete, substantial opinions. But....

1. OK, the only reason the AF bought more F-16's is because they knew the attrition rate was going to be bad...

2. If you want to own your own F-16, buy an acre of land near Luke AFB (in Arizona) ...then wait.

3. You can recognize most Viper, er, Fighting Falcon pilots by their sloping foreheads and knuckles that often drag the floor. And those are the better looking ones. Not that I was looking, of course...

ACTUALLY, the F-16 is a great airplane with a ton of missions--you would never go wrong to get one out of pilot training. The F-15C is a great jet, but will be slowly phased out beginning in 04 as the F-22 comes on line. However, the Eagle will be around until 2025 or so since the AF isn't buying enough F-22s to satisfy all of the requirements. It is still the world's pre-eminent air to air fighter despite the advances made by the Russians and Europeans.

The F-15E is virtually a new jet with a substantial increase in air to ground capability--it is a SH machine with a long life ahead of it.

Enough of this serious stuff--here's the straight poop.

Chicks dig Eagle drivers.

Fight's on!

Best of luck, by the way, Jiu Jitsu man. Don't sweat the physical issue, either. Just make sure that your eyesight is still 20-20 and you will be fine. If not, well....maybe LASIK or another option will be approved one day soon.

I think a lot of times guys get wrapped up in appearances, and don’t really think about the mission of the aircraft. It seems that most guys out of pilot training want the F-15 because of it’s reputation of air superiority. Other guys want the F-16 because it’s a badass little plane with a hell of a performance capability. Remember that while you are choosing the plane, you’re also choosing the mission. Both of these aircraft are less than a decade from being replaced, but their missions will likely remain the same. For the F-15, that’s air-to-air and for the F-16, that’s dual role of A/A and air-to-ground.

I’ve always wanted to do A/G, which is the only reason I didn’t want an F-15C. But, I’m not a big fan of the viper’s single engine, so if I hadn’t gotten a Strike Eagle, I would have chosen an A-10 before an F-16. I’m obviously biased towards the F-15E (not sure if you meant to include that – you only specified F-15) because of its mission and the capability to perform it. We are dual-role like the 16, but because of the dude in the back seat, we can perform it better. While we’re rooting through the weeds at 500+ knots in the middle of the night getting ready to drop bombs, I can be primarily concerned with flying the jet, not hitting the ground, and maintaining formation while my WSO can focus his attention on finding and designating the target. It can be argued that when we go to the A/A arena, two people=half the SA. I’ve seen this happen in cases, and I’ve seen where it is just the opposite, it all depends on the crew.

In terms of aircraft performance (G-loading and turn capability), a good C driver is going to probably outperform us, and even a bad viper driver can do the same. The “Strike Pig” is a lot heavier than the other two, and will bleed off its energy quickly in an A/A engagement. When you get to UPT, you’ll have IPs from every airframe who will tell you why theirs is the best and everyone else’s sucks (like I’m sure you’ll get here). Take it all in and make your decision from there.

As to what to do to better your chances – it sounds like you have plenty of hours. Don’t worry about the fitness thing – there’s a weight lifting test you have to take in UPT, but it’s fairly cake. And unless you’ve got some kind of medical problem (asthma, color blindness, etc.) you won’t have any problems with the physical.

Eagles Vs. Vipers

BJJ,
Having flown both I'll try and give you a fair assessment of which one I preferred. In my experience, the Viper was the most "fun" and capable fighter to fly. (Sorry Flipper...but it is just personal preference). My reasons were that it can literally turn up it's own A$$, has the same long range weapons capability as the Eagle. You also get to blow *&it up as a dual role fighter. The jets are sexy and contrary to popular belief, women love me !! Not Eagle Drivers, although I can fall back on that if I have to!!

Just get to UPT, stay focused on what you want to do. If it's fighters you really want, then strive for perfection so you have the option when assignments come around (sts). Either jet and you'll have a blast.

And as far as the physical stuff...come on we're in the Air Force....

If you mean "manly" like the S-3 I'll stick to my "girlish" F15. I'll accept landing on my 13k plus runway to not fly orbits above the boat.

Reuter...you sick pig. You always wanted a Viper. BAAD DOG!

Albie
(Up to my A$$ in 727 systems...)

Albie -- As long as we are talking about which jet is sexier, the A320 is way cooler than the ancient 727!! And a side stick is way sexier than side saddle! You picked a way of life, not the airplane or mission!

Future military pilots -- That's something important to remember for anybody considering the Navy or Marines. Let's see... 9 months on a boat or flying combat missions from the comfort of home... the choice seems easy to me. OK, before you all light up your blow torches, I'll admit that sitting in Saudi isn't a ton of fun. I've done lots of time in Saudi. But a 2-3 month TDY sure beats the boat rides. I've also flown combat missions from the heartland and gone to sleep in my own bed at the end of the day. Not a bad way to fight a war.

BTW, it's real easy to argue F-16 vs. F-15 on your way to pilot training. After your first few flights in a jet , the reality of UPT sets in and you will be happy just to graduate and thrilled if you make the fighter/bomber cut. Just do your best and if you are #1 in your class then you can make the choice. Everybody else will probably not get much say. Needs of the AF, and all that. Good luck!

Sick DOG

Reuter, the only thing that I can say is that you must have gotten a lobotomy prior to making field grade....You prefer a Wiper? Ugh!

I'm not helping you learn you A-320 flows, ex-pal o' mine...Not til you take it all back.

Albie, take a break from that panel and come to our aid. Write a three page diatribe on how the Eagle will eventually rule the world despite aching longerons.

Flipper--my brain is becoming newly wrinkled...FMS, FMGC, DUs, ELAC, ohmybuddah!

Roddy said:
Land an F-14 (way sexier jet) on a pitching deck of a carrier and you have arrived as an aviator.

I think I missed that change to 3-1 when they decided that the winners of wars are determined by how well you can land on boats.

Last edited:
The Battle Herk

Now, if you're going to have a discussion regarding the best aircraft around, one cannot exclude the mighty and venerable Battle Herk.
I know you jet guys fly fast and look sexy in the g-suits, but while you're pulling g's, I'm pulling the lever on the coffee pot for another cup of joe after taking a nap and making a head call......
And there is a benefit to having your own party on wheels going with you and your own import/export service when coming back from places that sell cool beer/liquor/misc goodies.
Personally, I fly the KC-130 for the Marines. The cameraderie is like no other community, I'm convinced...but then I'm biased... :)
Crews ranging from PFC's to Col's.
Granted, I don't get to drop bombs (which, I admit is pretty cool) and I respect the hell out of you guys for going downtown, but just as a reminder, it was a Marine Battle Herk that put the first grunts on the ground at Camp Rhino........To win the war, you've got to own the ground

Not trying to incite any riots, but had to complete the discussion.

And, now that's the rest of the story.....Good day

Piggy

Latest resources

Back