Expats in US for Fire Fighting ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bafanguy

Not a lot of details but a bit of scuttlebutt from another popular forum about expats doing fire-fighting flying in the USA. They have experience in the field and FAA licenses:

"...there's a few aussie guys flying 802 air tractors on fires at the moment on E3 visas in the USA."

And we should be worried?

...nope...

If there were to be any widespread use of that visa option by US companies, they'd have done it by now.

It doesn't appear they have.

...nope...

If there were to be any widespread use of that visa option by US companies, they'd have done it by now.

It doesn't appear they have.

Disagree. Only a matter of time. Super easy to do. I managed technical outsourcing for a $55b tech firm and very quickly realized some serious money could be saved in certain countries. Sure, you need 3x the headcount to get a job done but they're 1/5 the price.

Once the pipline is built you'll be competing with very low bidders.

acpilot,

I don't doubt visas are being used in some areas of industry (it's been a subject of some debate politically). I was referring specifically to aviation and pilot supply where the employers offer to handle the visa process on behalf of the prospective pilot to get them in the US to work. The visa specifically for Aussies would be an example.

[RAH CEO admitted to trying to trying to import some Brazilian pilots but that effort failed due to government opposition]

At this point, as far as I can see, no company is publicly admitting to doing that, i.e., "Come work for our company and we'll pay for and help you navigate the visa process.". Every job posting I've seen makes some version of a statement that one must be legally authorized to live/work in the USA with the occasional "...without sponsorship..." thrown in on some ads.

I suppose an individual could take a run at that but it appears to be an arduous, complex process.

If you've found an aviation employer aiding foreign pilots to work in the USA...and admitting to it, let us know. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. There appears to be some interest on the part of foreign nationals to come here and fly.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long delay to respond.

It will only happen when pilot prices go up. I could arrange this deal quickly but pilot labor is still cheap enough to make locals "cheap enough." As prices increase then the value prop becomes more attractive. Arranged properly (and very, very carefully), a determined employer could have a pool of pilots working 18mo contracts as staff augmentation* contractors for the same price as Americans without the 30% kicker that regular employees cost. Also the ability to terminate without notice or penalty.

Outsourcing is a spooky business. Be careful what you wish for.

*might end up being outsourced but the effect is similar.

acpilot,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you speak from the Head Shed.

Are you hiring small numbers of pilots ? If so, would you attribute your lack of supply issues to that fact ?

I don't work in aviation anymore. My experience is in tech. It's all the same though. Pilots, PCB designers, lab techs, landscapers, project managers...doesn't matter. Folks with commoditized skillsets (like pilots, engineers, lawyers, me, consultants, even doctors...almost everyone) are commodities. That's how we look at it and that's how we run strategy.

Don't get me wrong...

I would like nothing more than to run my analysis and quantify a cost avoidance strategy that brings back jobs to the US! Until that happens it makes no sense to ignore the outsourcing option, as unpleasant as it may be.

I am seeing a declining value proposition in Asia. High end talent in China (>20yr experience) in tier I cities has reached parity with US rates. India is closing the gap as well but it's still a decent deal in many cases.

China, in fact, it starting to outsource to Africa! I think it's great, that continent has potential...just needs the rule of law.

Anyway...more than you wanted to know.

Long story short, I would not be shocked if in the future I board a regional flight with a Czech (or whatever) first officer provided by a staffing company working in the US on a visa (making peanuts, of course).

Latest resources

Back