• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

What is the general concensus on this?

I'm curious what other airlines do.

Last edited:
Our FOM says nothing about 3585 and HMC's. That's why I was curious.

Thanks for the input.

I personally don't dispatch HMC's 3585. I get them swapped to another flight if I can.

Last edited:
And to throw this into the mix there's exemption 5549. Provides relief from 121.652 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (High Minimum Captain Limitations)... which supposedly allows High Minimums Captains (less than 100 hours in type) to fly an approach to published minimums as long as the company has receive authorization and the aircraft is equipped with an autopilot with approach coupler used all the way to decision height.

what if you aren't planning for the crew to do a CAT III approach, and they end up doing one. Do they call you and get a seond alternate?

2nd alternate is for preflight only based on forecast, Once off the ground landing mins apply. If there is an available CAT III apch they can shoot it.

I think.

Doesn't 3585 say that the conditional language cannot be less than half the required visibility?

Exemption 3585 would not apply to dispatching using the Cat III alternate rules. The visibility reported in TAF's is in 1/4 mile increments, so if you need 600/600/0 for a Cat III approach, you would need the conditional language to be half of that, or 300 rvr, which it could never be since the reports are in 1/4 mile increments, ie vis 0 or M1/4 or 1/4.

My company applies 3585 to High min's Captains simply by using their higher vis requirements for the base calculations. We do prohibit all high min's guys from doing any CAT II or III approaches in accordance with FAR 121.652 (c).

dispatcher121 said:
Not to confuse anyone. The above was the exception for the CAT III single engine requirements.....not a standard CAT III approach.

I am confused now. What airplane are you operating that allows for CATlll (autoland) with an engine out? Can't recall whether the 777 could do this or not. I know the L1011 (Non-digiatl AP) could and that was exceptional for the time.

Latest resources

Back