• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Etihad info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heard they just hired (or swapped in) several Air Berlin pilots as part of an agreement to move 50 AB pilots over. Something like 6 initial AB 737 pilots moving onto Etihad 777s and later more Air Berlin pilots into the A320, A330, and 777. Etihad owns a big stake in Air Berlin.

Can anyone discuss how aircraft type is determined for newhires? If you have RJ time, would the A320 be the logical starting point or would any fleet be an option? Do pilots with current Airbus experience tend to get A320/330 and current Boeing drivers get the 777? Is that how it tends to work?

Thanks

Can anyone discuss how aircraft type is determined for newhires? If you have RJ time, would the A320 be the logical starting point or would any fleet be an option? Do pilots with current Airbus experience tend to get A320/330 and current Boeing drivers get the 777? Is that how it tends to work?

Short answer, Yes

Traditionally Etihad has avoided hiring non type rated pilots, they have made exceptions lately for those with significant Boeing time for 777.

There has rarely been a shortage of typed Airbus applicants.

Each side upgrades to itself, and it is very senior to transfer from Airbus to Boeing. Many routes are shifting around between airframes, and next year sees the introduction of two new types, 380 and 787. 380 is going very very senior, and it's uncertain yet how the 787 will shake out.

777 upgrades sped up considerably the last year, however there have been lots of DECs and Airbus transfers, so things are calming down.

Lots of airbus deliveries in the second half of the year, so movement should happen there next.

The overall theme I've seen is that thing change quickly here, so long term career strategy by fleet is nearly impossible.

As some who has lived in Dubai and kind of misses the unique culture of the UAE, I want to apply at EY, but I'm always scared away by stories of difficult schedules on the bus... So to be specific: I'm flying a normal day time domestic schedule here in the States. That basically means 2-4 segments a day with 13-17 days of per month and 72-88 hours of flying on average. Is a schedule similar to that possible at EY on the 320? I don't really enjoy jet lag and night flying so suppose I'm wondering what a typical schedule might look like in a given month? Is it possible to avoid (or at least 'mostly' avoid) doing loads of night turn arounds?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any info.

-Jeff

At EY on the A320 you'll average 7-9 days off and your "roster""- schedule will be 70% night flights to Pakistan and India. 3 nights in a row is very common in a month. Trip trades/swaps are almost non-existent and roster changes can be up to as many as 16 (my record) in a single month. My advise is to stay in the States.

at ey on the a320 you'll average 7-9 days off and your "roster""- schedule will be 70% night flights to pakistan and india. 3 nights in a row is very common in a month. Trip trades/swaps are almost non-existent and roster changes can be up to as many as 16 (my record) in a single month. My advise is to stay in the states.

^^^+1

Would love to Hear from anyone working for Etihad who can fill me in on living there. I lived in Saudi (hated it) lived in China (family loved it but working for Chinese is crazy) I have been hired by Etihad as a DEC A-320 Captain, I know the work Sched is tough but if the wife and kids have things to do ( boys 15 and 12) is very important. I'm currently in the US. But at 49 and 300 from the bottom of USAir's list and not even able to pay my bills every month is getting very old and I don't have 2 more years to see if they can force this merger to happen.
Thanks in advance

Lived there for a few months. Better than DXB for family, but schooling a big "?" and a major factor. Summers suck ass. Rest of the year ok, but culturally as much of a wasteland as any other sandpit destination. Also, 320 rosters will kill you. I guess it's all about what you can do on your 42 days of leave. Go to Europe I suppose.

Schools:

http://www.gemsaa-abudhabi.com/

http://www.gemsworldacademy-abudhabi.com/

http://www.aisa.sch.ae/

To name a few. I'd be in contact with them to see if you can get places for your kids. GEMS has been building a lot of schools in the last year or two so there may be places at other new schools that they are opening soon.

Abu Dhabi construction projects are ticking along. A lot of new stock coming on the market on Reem Island as well as maturing communities like Al Raha Beach and Al Reef Villas. Al Reef is a bit far out from the city (close to the airport), but more affordable for townhomes. I used to own a 3 bedroom townhome there. Kind of small for what it was, the 4 and 5 bedroom townhomes are much more liveable with two kids.

They've got Ferrari World, a big new waterpark, Saadiyat Island, lots of concerts at Yas these days. It's been getting better and better over the last few years.

Typhoonpilot

Thanks Typhoon, I really appreciate it, the thought of being number 12,600 out of 13000 at the new American at 49 isn't adding up to good, reserve narrowbody Capt at 58-60 isn't looking so hot

Latest resources

Back