Erau

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Samuel Adams

I am interested in ERAU to fly as CFI. I know Daytona Beach is not currently hiring CFI but CFII.

It does not matter Daytona Beach or Prescott to me. I just would like to know about the school. If there is anyone who has been there or who has heard about the school(good or bad), please let me know.

Any information would be appriciated!!

Thank you.

ERAU-Prescott

I instructed at Riddle-Prescott during the late '80s-early '90s, so some of what I may have to say may be dated, but I doubt things have changed much.

Upsides and downsides: A very stimulating learning enviroment for everyone, but quite a bit of bickering and quibbling over small points. Well-maintained aircraft, but not enough of them to handle the student load. Decent pay, if you can keep busy, but if you can't get aircraft for your students you'll be SOL. There are peaks and valleys of aircraft availability. Now, if you can stay busy, it used to be that if you racked up at least 1000 hours of contact per year, you were paid a bonus. I don't remember the exact scheme, but it was very generous. One of the flight line ladies who was absolutely super once told me that she didn't understand why more people didn't make bonus. Contact hours included flight, sims and orals. If you made it to stage check pilot, you were paid a salary that in my day was competitive with a new commuter captain's. Very fair. Benies were adequate. I don't remember if there was a 401-K.

Another upside: If you upgrade to the multis and you're in the right place at the right time, you'll build a ton of multi quickly. I started off a school year with 65 multi hours. By the end of the second semester I had something like 540 hours of multi in my logbooks. This is significant because in the early '90s you needed at least 500 hours of multi to qualify for the commuters. You just may need that now when hiring picks up.

More downsides: The place is very political. There are some big egos and major turf-protectors at Riddle. There used to be a lot of tension between the flight line and campus. I feel that these battles impacted on training. Also, it was hard to get a straight answer to questions. You would start with one person, who would tell you to go to another person, who would tell you to go to still another person. That was known as the "Riddle Runaround."

I just got my issue of the AOPA magazine and saw where Riddle is advertising for instructors. I realize these ads were placed months before 911, so I wonder if the school really is hiring and the ads haven't been pulled. Doesn't hurt to check.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
ERAU Daytona

I just graduated last April and I'm currently instructing there now(Daytona), but not much longer due to greener pastures. Overall I've had a positve experience there. My boss is great and my co-workers are great too. Everyone who's instructing there has the same goal in mind so they're motivated. I know there are some training managers to watch out for though. The aircraft are by far the best you will find at any flight school. Maintenance is second to none. In the time I've been there I've never seen and inop placard in any of the Cessnas. The Mooneys, well, a few of them have 10,000 hours or are close to it. However, they are on their way out and brand new Arrows are replaceing them.

You will see a few differant opinions. You get out what you put in as a student. I have seen a few kids get screwed while working there. Most of the time they deserved it. The are exceptions however.

If I were you and you want to work there call and find out if they are accepting applications. Last I heard they were still conducting interviews and interview flights. I also heard the pool is at about 70 applicants who will be offered jobs when hiring resumes. As soon as hiring begins industry wide you will see a huge turnover again. It used to be at least 10 per month, now, I dont think 10 have left since 9/11. Contract negotiations start next month, thank goodness I wont be there for that.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Good Luck

I just want to add don't expect anything untill next Fall. Summer is gonna have a low enrollment. Rumor is Fall will be at or above normal.

Last edited:
Re: ERAU Daytona

jaybird,

Congratulations on your "greener pastures". Just curious though, what's the starting pay for instructors and how high can it get? 10 years ago I think the pay was around $12 / hour or so.
Thanks.

P.S. You guys allowed to fly in the clouds yet? :D

Thank you very much for the information!!:)

I was wondering how long does it usually take for the instructors in ERAU to leave for airlines. And what are the airlines do the most instructors go? Do they have any bridge programs?

Very funny rudderdog. Starting pay is $10 for part-timers, and I think 12.88 for starting full-timers with less than 750 dual given. There are differant steps and classifications I don't have the contract with me now, but depending on experience you can top out around $15 an hour. As I said before contract negotiations start next month so this all will change.

Sam, obviously it depends on you and your experience. I knew people that went to Coex and Eagle with 400tt/100me. Others went to almost every single regional carrier and cargo operator out there. The ACA bridge program is still running strong from what I understand. ASA bridge no longer exists. There is that new Northwest program that I don't know much about. There was talk about a Caost Guard bridge and a bridge to some big corporate flight departments, but I have heard anything about these in quite a while. There is also an AirNet hiring agreement, but that isn't too popular. Thats where I'm going and not through the agreement.

The Career Services department handles all of the bridge programs so you may want to contact them with any questions. If you do enroll there are many internships to choose from also. IMO the Career Services department is excellant and will help you get what you want.

Are you planning on becomming a student? If not, the bridge programs won't apply to you. You must be an enrolled student and graduate with the AS degree.

Latest resources

Back