ERAU distance learning or Thomas Edison

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

newmei

I have a question leaving the whole "get a non aviation degree as a fall back" off the table--->

I have about 1060 55 ME 120 Dual Given CFII MEI, I understand ERAU will give me 33-36 credits for CFII MEI 500 dual given, and Thomas Edison will do the same. Which do you think is a better school? I have at the end of the semester 69 credit hours and a AA, so remaining credits at ERAU would be few. Would I be safe indoing this program meanwhile instructing like crazy over the next 1 1/2 to get another 380 dual given? Is this impossible? I would'nt want to start a program without being able to finish my hours in a timely fashion, having all my credits but being short in hours. However at T.E. I would'nt have that restriction but the aviation program is not accrediated however is regionally accrediated.
Thanks for the advice.

Newmei,

If I'm not mistaken (I frequently am), the requirements you described for ERAU are entrance requirements to the program. I believe you only need stipulate that you have the required instructional experience. Neither TESC, nor ERAU, will require copies of your logbook or verification that you have provided the necessary instruction. The credit hours are awarded on the basis of your certification, as opposed to a review of your instructing experience.

I origionally started with TESC to do a distance degree, and they offered 105 credits for my certificates and ratings. (Not all of it would be applicable to the specific degree, however). Extended and unpredictable deployments prevented me from pursuing the program, and later I checked into ERAU. ERAU offered me 63 credits toward the degree (and advised that more could be offered, but would not be applicable to the degree).

I elected to go with ERAU. Among other things, while more expensive, I felt that they were much easier to work with; certainly more helpful. I also felt that the name behind the degree would be more recognisable, and valueable. While the degrees offered by TESC and ERAU are equal in terms of accreditation, the degree from ERAU carries greater weight in terms of the "brand name" in the industry.

There are advantages both ways. ERAU has recently raised prices again. Previously one could take two courses from them for the quarterly allotment of financial aid, while now I believe the course prices have been raised just high enough that with books, one can only get one course in unless one can fund the balance privately. Again, I may be wrong on that.

Both schools will send material detailing their programs completely. I believe TESC had a good web site that could be navigated, and that would detail all the credits and breakdowns for credits, offered. I think ERAU has the same. I know that ERAU has a provision on their distance learning website for navigating a sample course, to see how it all works.

ERAU is more expensive in the long run. One is left to determine if the brand name value is worth the extra cost.

Riddle v. Tom Edison

Your major concern should be if your school is accredited by one of the major accrediting bodies, e.g., the North Central Association, Southern Association (which accredits Riddle), New England Association, etc. I would absolutely, positively, NOT go to a school that does not have such accreditation. Your degree will carry lesser value to the airlines and others.

You can't beat Riddle's name recognition. A Riddle degree in the aviation industry is like a degree from Harvard outside of aviation. It is hard to beat a Riddle education in aerodynamics and systems. On the other hand, Riddle connotes negatives with a lot of people. That is stupid. I wouldn't let that discourage me. Riddle's cost can discourage people.

Check out Thomas Edison's credentials thoroughly. I've heard of several people who've earned degrees there. Proper accreditation should be near the top of your priorities.

Good luck with school.

ERAU requires copies of the first and last pages of all your logbooks in order to get the 36 credits for 500 dual given or 1000 PIC. I am currently taking classes with ERAU and I would highly recommend them.

Good Luck

Correct me if I'm wrong but thats 1000 PIC in Mulit Engine

Thomas Edison IS NOT accrediated by any aviation accrediation organizations while ERAU is by two.
TE and ERAU however are BOTH regionally accrediated.

I just finished my second bachelors degree last month via the distance learning program (online) through ERAU.

Expensive, yes.

There are benefits to doing the ERAU program if you are motivated. The terms are two months long, so you can save time by signing up at almost anytime. You don't have to wait for a new semester to start before you sign up for a new class. Also, you can finish classes early and sign up for new ones at your own pace. I did 60 units over the span of 13 months while on the road with my laptop. ERAU also allowed me to transfer in some courses I took this year at a community college (also through distance learning), so I saved some money that way. But if you aren't a self-learner, and need a kick to get going, then this program is not for you. There were drawbacks like anything else but in my particular situation it worked out just great.

The other benefit to ERAU (over, say, Utah Valley State College) was that they offer EVERY course needed to finish the degree. UVSC gave me the runaround when I was researching schools and they didn't offer all of the classes needed to earn a BS.

I too am also doing the Riddle thing. Yes, it's very expensive as people have pointed out, but I think the counseling and the help that Riddle provide while your enrolled is absolutly great. I haven't had one run around. They are very to the point and tell you exactly what you need to finsih your BS or MS.

I looked at TE before Riddle but choose ERAU simply becayse of the support you get.

Is it a name issue with the major airlines. I'm not sure, but I'm not going to take that chance.

Hope this helps.

My beef with TE is that after taking a number of classes toward a non aviation degree, I found that I would have to take classes from other colleges to satisfy TE's degree program. I thought that suked. At the time (three years ago), TE charged a $1000 annual enrollment fee on top of the hourly charge. When I factored this with the class charges, Riddle ended up being cheaper. I don't know if TE still charges this fee but this, combined with the name recognition of Riddle convinced me to finish up with ERAU.

Unlike many of the posters here I did the opposite. I left ERAU for TESC. They gave me a better evaulation, it was cheaper, and it allowed me to take classes at the local unversity. I also can't believe that posters here had better service and information from ERAU. My experience with TESC has been excellent.

I also do not believe that ERAU, UND, or any other "aviation school" gives you any advantage over another. A four year degree is what is important.

In any case either school will do a good job and hell, if you don't have a job right now a four year degree isn't going to help you anyway.

Latest resources

Back