Empty 767 causes trouble

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- An empty American Airlines jet rolled through a fence onto a nearby street at Los Angeles International airport Wednesday morning.

There were no injuries.

The Boeing 767 hit some power lines and its nose extended about 15 feet onto World Way West, a four-lane street used by airport employees, authorities said.

The plane was parked outside a maintenance hanger when it rolled away, according to a statement from American Airlines.

Gaby Pacheco, an airport spokesman, said the mishap appeared to stem from some sort of mechanical error. Airport police were investigating the incident.

The plane rolled slowly enough that traffic on the street was not affected, Pacheco said.

USA Today has a pretty informative article on it.
capt.1018463060.runaway_plane_cadd101.jpg

Last edited:
Probably not chocked correctly or parking brake not set (not uncommon). Or, possibly just a malfunction of the parking brake itself such as the loss of accumulator pressure.

Regardless, you have to get a kick out of the news media's initial reports of everything from some sort of terrorist plot to how the pilots must have run off the active runway.

Hmmm...lets not let facts or more plausible explanations get in the way of being first on the air!:mad:

What a picture.

Despite all the craziness in that picture, I can't help but think; that plane looks great, no matter what predicament it's in.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get planes out of my system.

Family

It's not just you! LOL. I was sitting here watching the news with my girlfriend, and while she was asking me about the parking brake on the plane ("yeah sweetie - because my whole 50 hours of Duchess time qualifies me to talk all about the 767!"), I simply said, "Man, that's a good looking airplane."

She just rolled her eyes.

You can't actually expect the media to gather facts first. That doesn't sell news, which after all is what media networks are supposed to do - sell stuff. That's why they, as a whole, make me nauseaus. I love how a simple mishap is instantly labeled a terrorist event, scandal, or other such nonsense. At least the truth came out eventually............ If all three positions weren't chocked correctly the a/c can jump them sometimes, especially in strong winds. The wind pushing the tail around when the a/c is light can move the nose off the chocks and get things in motion, so to speak. We had a 727 parked at the gate that was his by a 40 kt wind gust that slammed the whole thing into the jetway and almost ripped the forward door off. Good thing we were not boarding at the time.

It would be nice if the administrator would allow us to attach pictures to our threads.... <hint hint>

Latest resources

Back