Employment Contract at EJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilotwife

While my husband is debating whether to accept a position with EJA, he learned that EJA had tremendously inflated the cost of their training contracts. He was given information that this was done to prevent pilots from taking the job and then quitting before their first 2 years were completed. Has anyone else heard that his is happening? It appears that there are several pilots in an upcoming class whose contract is worth $8,000 less than mine for the same aircraft. We understand management’s reasoning behind such a move, but if this action was necessary to retain pilots, what all is going on that would cause pilots to leave prior to fulfilling the contract obligation?

Sure, they are not leaving now, but wait until recalls begin. All those pilots with fake or no resignation of seniority will be jumping back to their old seniority.
I can't blame EJA. I am sure we all heard of the Comair fiasco.
On the other hand, I do agree with Gunfighter.

I can see where EJA would be reluctant to increse starting pay. If pay is increased to industry average for coporate flying, then a pilot would have funds to pay off a contract and move on to another job he feels is better overall for him/her. Management is still left with turnover and no way to control it. Although if management had the disposition of the JetBlue folks (reference to the thank you letter discussesd in another thread) they might would see reduced turnover. Equating reduced turnover with improved attitude from support staff is hard to see and even harder to develop so other symptoms of the problem are attacked--Still debating whether to accept the offer or not.

Why would anyone leave?

I had no hesitation whatsoever in signing the 2 year commitment regardless of what the face value of it is in $$. Management has a right to recover their investment somehow, preferably in service. The $$ are probably more than the actual cost to FSI because there a lot of additional costs in training that are not readily apparent. Yes, you can go buy a type for less than what EJA is "charging" you but that's not the only thing that's going on here.

Also with the big bucks that management is investing in your training they would not be likely to fire people on managerial whims. At the interview they told me you've got to try really hard to get fired, it's very rare. They need to recover their investment and preferably not by paying off of training contracts.

Furthermore, I plan on being at EJA for the next 20+ years, 2 years is nothing, insignificant. What do you want to do in your (working) life? This is it, I'm in it for the long haul.

tj

I can see where EJA would be reluctant to increse starting pay. If pay is increased to industry average for coporate flying, then a pilot would have funds to pay off a contract and move on to another job he feels is better overall for him/her.

If you think that's the reason why we are fighting for a industry leading contract your high. Once we get the money we deserve i'm not bailing on the company to go fly corporate, it just means that EJA is becoming the best job for me.

. Although if management had the disposition of the JetBlue folks (reference to the thank you letter discussesd in another thread) they might would see reduced turnover.

It sounds like your husband has an app in with jetblue and that this is a stoping point for him. Thus he doesn't want to sign a 2 year contract and skate for free.

Equating reduced turnover with improved attitude from support staff is hard to see and even harder to develop so other symptoms of the problem are attacked--Still debating whether to accept the offer or not.

My advice to your husband is don't bother. It doesn't seem like he wants the job and there are many other deserving pilots who want it.

My worry is someone like that is not going to fight hard for the new contract because he has another job that he waiting on.

See ya.

Beg your pardon, we would fight hard for a better contract and did about 10 years ago. 98% of the staff wanted to strike for better pay and other benefits but the union caved because they were told if they did not settle with the "commuter" they (the major airline union members) would not get what they wanted in their upcoming contract. You say what about brotherhood and sticking together. When my husband applied to EJA I thought he would make more than me. I am a state worker who makes sure your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** does not contaminate the ground water. I guess that pays more than flying a million dollar aircraft. That reason was more important to me than the contract and I was glad he choose to let someone else who viewed the job differently have it. Someone he knows called him with news that his class date was moved up because someone bailed. We were happy for him. It was not right for us.

Man, i don't even know where to begin. Maybe it's becasue I have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I still can't figure out what your saying, all i could think of what's Brown and sleeps six, a Maine State truck.

So i take it your job didn't take the job or did he or didn't he or maybe he did 10 years ago. I give up.

I give up....

I have to say that I am soooo glad that my wife does not mettle in my professional life-we are a family but she pretty much leaves the aviation career decisions to me.
(supposing this poster is a woman and a wife)Can you imagine the nagging that could go on in that house-whoa-no thanks.

Fly Safe
Chuck

No Kidding!

No kidding Chuck, I can't imagine having this career and living with that everyday! I honestly hope that is someone impersonating a pilot's wife and trying to stir things up, if not I guess we can only be glad she is in no way connected to us and EJA. I guess I will go back to flying my "million dollar aircraft" (try 7-8 million) and loving it!! As has been said over and over, money isn't everything in this line of work.

Latest resources

Back