• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Looks At Transpacific Operation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I think people want miles if they are going to travel across the globe, primarily because those points might give their family a free trip to Hawaii. It is important here in the States, but maybe not to businessmen in Lahore or Bangalaru. They don't care there, they are among the top in their countries to even fly anywhere, and they may not care. But here in the States, everyone wants something for free, and if their business buys them a business class ticket to Narita from LA, they will use those points later on. Also, the more the fly, the higher their "status" on that airline. Didn't you see that George Clooney film about being a top customer at AA? It was very important to him, and that is the same at the other 2 legacies. All 3 have invested in lounges, even DL picks up pax at the gates in ATL and JFK I believe in Porsche SUVs and takes them to their next connecting gate. Top flyers get top treatment, and everyone strives to hit the top here. Going on EK does nothing for their "status" at the big 3 here. As I said, maybe people in Pakistan and India don't care.

Also, if someone has a GV, they will take the GV to DXB. If a company has one, middle managers might not go on one, but those guys still want the points. Now the rich oil Barron from Kenya ? He probably doesn't care, and will fly on you to DXB and then onward, also because the big 3 American Airlines don't go to Kenya. You can have it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

sorry to disappoint you but the real world is much different than the movie "Up in the Air" :laugh:

Skymiles have become a joke. It costs 45,000 miles to cash in a free ticket on the day you want to travel. You might be able to get a free ticket for 25,000 miles that retails for $189 on Expedia.

sorry to disappoint you but the real world is much different than the movie "Up in the Air" :laugh:

Skymiles have become a joke. It costs 45,000 miles to cash in a free ticket on the day you want to travel. You might be able to get a free ticket for 25,000 miles that retails for $189 on Expedia.

Thanks George Clooney...... I knew YOU would know the name of that movie, you probably re-watch it a few times per week...

And, it seems many Skymiles members enjoy the program. I constantly see "Diamonds" and "Platinum" members sitting in First, ready to enjoy the ride. Maybe it's because they aren't going to Kocin, India like you are. No thanks!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nah, most Americans don't want to fly on a ME airline. Really, they don't.

According to Time magazine, "most" Americans spend nearly 80% of their life within 20 miles of their birthplace (may not be the absolute exact figure, but it's in that range, they had an article on the subject around 5 years ago), so there you go. As for EK, one of the things they are doing rather successfully is marketing themselves as a "global" as opposed to a "Middle Eastern" carrier, and it's working. Probably better than many of us realize, too.

Thanks George Clooney...... I knew YOU would know the name of that movie, you probably re-watch it a few times per week...

And, it seems many Skymiles members enjoy the program. I constantly see "Diamonds" and "Platinum" members sitting in First, ready to enjoy the ride. Maybe it's because they aren't going to Kocin, India like you are. No thanks!

Bye Bye---General Lee

This discussion is once again drifting. This discussion is about the threat Emirates' poses to wide body international routes from USA to Europe and Asia.

But is EK really a threat to Delta? With Emirates' 3rd JFK flight a day into Terminal 4, Delta should be foaming at the mouth for the 450,000 seats a year that could be funneled into Delta domestic. I don't see any REAL effort by the Legacies to fight or stop Emirates.

I don't think people realize how close Emirates came to striking a deal with AA similar to Qantas. The grand plan was to open a western hemisphere hub.

Globalization is here, like it or not.

This discussion is once again drifting. This discussion is about the threat Emirates' poses to wide body international routes from USA to Europe and Asia.

But is EK really a threat to Delta? With Emirates' 3rd JFK flight a day into Terminal 4, Delta should be foaming at the mouth for the 450,000 seats a year that could be funneled into Delta domestic. I don't see any REAL effort by the Legacies to fight or stop Emirates.

I don't think people realize how close Emirates came to striking a deal with AA similar to Qantas. The grand plan was to open a western hemisphere hub.

Globalization is here, like it or not.

Doesn't EK have a deal with JetBlue? As far as Globalization goes, Alliances will take care of that, with each member carving out their own piece. I think DL and other Skyteam members make some money sending pax from JFK to DXB via AMS or CDG (on DL planes to those hubs, then onward on KL or AF). With Alliances, there are plenty of options for business travelers to travel anywhere, the worldwide coverage is huge. Businesses want easy check in and the ability to use lounges at different airlines in different places. And, big businesses often sign corporate contracts to sweeten the deals. Skyteam, One World, and Star Alliance have the World covered already. QR is thinking about One World as we speak. If you join an alliance, you have to respect your partners' needs, and not overstep. EK hasn't joined one because they simply don't want to be restricted, and they have too many planes coming. They can hope the get the rights to fly from Asia to the US, or CDG to LAX etc, but they risk irking local airlines who whisper to their own governments, and then you get a situation like the one you have in Austria. It will happen a lot more if you step on the local's toes.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I think GL and 8sugar are both somewhat right.

EK will probably not take a lot of traditional American passengers that want miles. They will however take some that like a higher standard.

And I believe they will take many non traditional American passengers. 1st or 2nd generation immigrants that still have ties to their home countries.

EK won't hurt the so called traditional passengers for a legacy carrier it will be the non traditional passengers that would of flown on a legacy that will now have a choice. That is where EK may hurt the legacy carriers.

Will it really hurt them? Not sure. If I were paying and had a choice it would be on any foreign airline that was safe over a US carrier.

Sorry General, having flown international on both Emirates and Delta (and most other Legacy carriers), and flying international many times a year - I would pick Emirates over Delta any time. Using the miles is becoming to restrictive, and the passenger experience just cannot be compared. Until Delta and others learn to treat their customers the way Emirates does - they will not have my business when I have a choice. All my colleagues would gladly forsake the miles to avoid an American Legacy on long flights.

Ex CRJ and Current Mrat pilot:

The difference is you never paid on Delta. You just got the JS and put on first by that nice captain. unlike in your own Airline you paid for your non rev 300 dollar business class. Try paying next time

Ex CRJ and Current Mrat pilot:

The difference is you never paid on Delta. You just got the JS and put on first by that nice captain. unlike in your own Airline you paid for your non rev 300 dollar business class. Try paying next time

You couldn't be more wrong. I have never flown for an airline and have zero desire for ever flying for one as I am quite happy in the corporate world. I do however often position (world wide) as a passenger, and I do have a choice between airlines.

You seem to be wrong on most of your assumptions.

You couldn't be more wrong. I have never flown for an airline and have zero desire for ever flying for one as I am quite happy in the corporate world. I do however often position (world wide) as a passenger, and I do have a choice between airlines.

You seem to be wrong on most of your assumptions.

I know it's an anonymous forum , CLCAP?
Happy to have a job?

Ok then

I know it's an anonymous forum , CLCAP?
Happy to have a job?

Ok then

How in the world does that have anything to do with the discussion at hand?

A lot of passengers will still choose a higher quality experience over a lower quality one, and you are right now on the side of the lower quality one.

I would be the first one to switch back to US airlines if their customer service matched Emirates (or Qatar, or Singapore, or Cathay, or even some Chinese carriers), but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Latest resources

Back