• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Captain Pay??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spent about an hour checking out the website. Looks like a cool place to work. Deep pockets and Dubai seems nice. Looks like they'll be hiring for some time once that big order starts to come in.

Any family guys care to chime in regarding family life there... school in country for little ones, entertainment, sports, security of home while you're away, etc. I spent some time in Saudi and wouldn't want to subject my wife to their lifestyle if I could help it.

Number one is that it is night and day difference to Saudi Arabia. I lived in Jeddah for the better part of a year so I do have a valid comparison.

There are currently 3 American schools as well as numerous British and International schools. They would be rated as better than most public schools in the U.S.. There are numerous activities for kids including Cub/Boy Scouts, baseball, soccer, swimming, etc., etc.

Security is good in Dubai. While there are gated communities in some places, most villas are on regular neighborhood streets. The typical villa has an outside fence or wall. Break-ins do happen, but it is almost always just petty thieves. Violent crime exists, but not targeted against expats. Generally it is far safer in Dubai than in the USA.

The one safety concern that seems to bother people most is road safety. There are some pretty wacko driving stunts in the country and the accident rate is high. If you look at the statistics, half of the fatalities are UAE locals. This while they make up less than 20% of the population. Unfortunately they take out the occasional innocent bystander in the process of killing themselves.

Socially the expat life tends to be more active than a life at home in the USA. Lots of BBQs and get togethers. Dubai itself has numerous world class events including Tennis, Golf, Horse Racing, and concerts.

Typhoonpilot

Spent about an hour checking out the website. Looks like a cool place to work. Deep pockets and Dubai seems nice. Looks like they'll be hiring for some time once that big order starts to come in.

Any family guys care to chime in regarding family life there... school in country for little ones, entertainment, sports, security of home while you're away, etc. I spent some time in Saudi and wouldn't want to subject my wife to their lifestyle if I could help it.

Schools - a lot of good to v. good pvt schools all supplemented by the package.

Entertainment - lots to do, its a tourist destination as well as a business hub so they cater to all.

Sports - its on the water so all you need there. School sports more Euro centric i.e. soccer, rugby.

Security of home - nothing too much different than anywhere else. Lock the doors.

This is not Saudi - trust me. It is the Middle East and as such a healthy ability to interact and embrace with different cultures is important.

Growth - 'nuff said.

Hope it helps. Lot of happy people out here some not - like anywhere. I take my cue from the majority.

Respectfully,

fareview

Thanks for the responses. I remember there was a high death rate in Saudi due to the driving. They drive crazily without regard for life or the laws of physics.

I believe your salary is also tax free!
Yea you dont have to pay Dubai, but you still have to pay Uncle Sam if you're a US citizen. (This is in general, theres some percentage rule about how much you pay...but you still pay)

Yea you dont have to pay Dubai, but you still have to pay Uncle Sam if you're a US citizen. (This is in general, theres some percentage rule about how much you pay...but you still pay)

:erm:

Please read the instructions for IRS form 2555.

The foreign earned income exclusion, housing exclusion, plus normal deductions means you have to make well over $100,000/year to even need to think about paying Uncle Sam a penny.

Typhoonpilot

Do most guys bring their wives and if so is there enough to keep them busy while you're flying? Is it easy for the wives to find jobs? If my wife wants to go home twice a year is it going to break the bank?

Hi!

Most guys bring their wives.

It depends on the job/career field-they are getting more and more professionals from overseas to fill jobs.

Once a year is free-the other is not free, but is at reduced cost-I don't know the details.

cliff
YIP

Cliff,

Can you give me any insight into what the living arraignments would be like if I brought my wife. Apartment or what? Size, baths that kind of stuff. Do they have an initial allowance to get set up? How much do we bring from the states? We will surely have grand kids in the next few years, what if she comes to the states 4 or 5 times a year for a couple of weeks at a shot?

If you are coming over as a married FO without kids, you will get an apartment-- most likely 3 bedroom and of good standard. If you have kids at home, you will get a villa. Captains will get a villa with or without kids.

You can take the apartment furnished if you would like, or they will give you an allowance to furnish the place (AED30,000 or about US$8000). You will get to ship a couple of hundred pounds of airfreight at EK's expense.

The wife can travel all she wants. The restriction is how much you are willing to spend on the travel.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back