• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those who never heard the expression:

Pot calling the kettle black

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The phrase "Pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom, used to accuse another speaker of hypocrisy, in that the speaker disparages the subject in a way that could equally be applied to him or her. In former times cast iron pots and kettles were quickly blackened from the soot of the fire. If personified into animate objects, the pot would then be hypocritical to insult the kettle's colour.

QUOTE HIGHSKY: (I'm) currently flying with a large U.S. cargo airline that hires just 1 out of 200 applicants.
Highsky: Besides the problems in your personal life with your failed marriage and women as previously referenced, and that you seem to dismiss all of that out of hand in favor of all your momentary accomplishments, you seem to think that flying cargo is a great honor of some kind. Well I don't think I should have to tell you that flying all-night freighters is right at the bottom in terms of quality to life. And how do (or did) you like fixing the meals and coffee for your captain? Yes, it's probably the right place for you, where you don't have to interact with many people. If you had to actually work with others, especially women, I'm sure you wouldn't survive long before you'd be in the office or fired outright. It's your attitude that speaks volumes. Just one look at your prior post and your bio says it all.

One question: Did you learn to act as you do before, during or after ERAU?

Last edited:
Highsky: Besides the problems in your personal life with your failed marriage and women as previously referenced, and that you seem to dismiss all of that out of hand in favor of all your momentary accomplishments, you seem to think that flying cargo is a great honor of some kind. Well I don't think I should have to tell you that flying all-night freighters is right at the bottom in terms of quality to life. And how do (or did) you like fixing the meals and coffee for your captain? Yes, it's probably the right place for you, where you don't have to interact with many people. If you had to actually work with others, especially women, I'm sure you wouldn't survive long before you'd be in the office or fired outright. It's your attitude that speaks volumes. Just one look at your prior post and your bio says it all.

One question: Did you learn to act as you do before, during or after ERAU?

I agree that this clown "Highsky" is quite arrogant.

But coming from UndauntedFlyer, there is no better an expression to compare YOU and Highsky than "The pot calling the kettle black."

Al, you yourself are quite an arrogant a$$ (and have been for a LONG time..most in the Chicago area or United family will agree to that....Autothrottles was your nickname I believe) for deameaning this guy about his failed marriage or his employment at a night cargo carrier. Who the hell are you to define quality of life? That is relative to each individual and their own situation.

By the way, you still wearing those 1980's sport coats with the cordouroy patches on the elbows?

I'd love to watch that video of Ty one more time so I can tell you how awesome a pilot he is!

Now that you're not pulling in a full paycheck, whats a private checkride at these days? $1100 or 1200 bucks?

I agree that this clown "Highsky" is quite arrogant.

By the way, you still wearing those 1980's sport coats with the cordouroy patches on the elbows?

I'd love to watch that video of Ty one more time so I can tell you how awesome a pilot he is!

Now that you're not pulling in a full paycheck, whats a private checkride at these days? $1100 or 1200 bucks?

Thanks for agreeing with me about Highsky.

Off subject: Do you still have your VTX 1300? How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting a used one.

Regarding the patched elbows, I can't afford anything else since I was fired for being too old. That's the way it goes, I have gotten over it. Now I just look at things differently, I got to retire early. I think the patched coat has kind of become my logo, just like my hat, don't you agree? It's perfect for checkrides but I do have another coat too, from the same era. But isn't that the way examiners are supposd to look? I know this will surprise you but I have been shamed into buying three new suits. They were on sale.

I have no big issue with the name "auto-throttles" but I have only heard it here on FI once or twice. I just know that that's the way people talk about their captains, with rather funny nicknames. I guess it's true, I liked the auto-throttles. After all, that's what they're for, to use from takeoff to landing, just as Boeing says to do. The auto-throttles do enhance safety.

Thanks for your comment about Ty. I'm lucky in that regard. I don't think anyone has ever said a negative thing about him. Probably because I've never heard him say a negative word about anyone either.

And last was the subject of checkride fees: It's still pretty much the same, $300 for one engine and $350 for two engines. Airline rate for CFI renewal/reinstatement is $250. The rest of the civilized world charges much more so I don't really think that's too much, do you?

Here is the link from the Aerobatic Forum at FI:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?videoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.go ogle.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion%3D0%26secureurl %3DuwAAAG7ggqAHSiJjpW0D3w4aYTWgjoWEi5jsmLHLVJ3XTPm g7rj1nsKZDDZazU_3pBt00M6cIbkLTzjBJEQLus1PHucgptELM 2mZH4VVK0dVlIHP8Hf82nkielT2HyZxH81oTLEoMmZFI7yxBkQ hkqqZ0sAuzZxNplIAGiniONaCCXkICquIjElZ-kMWTEnK4FzjFNxzCPN5PQFLVinOxM6OrP_qJNtXeVf7tBCOnw3 04p0EZpnTu9Efx1zFHdoSHNxgWA%26sigh%3DwCsdnFfSyC2V0 uEqs90EXlxAW3g%26begin%3D0%26len%3D466932%26docid% 3D6655593846731088487&thumbnailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvi deo.google.com%2FThumbnailServer%3Fapp%3Dvss%26con tentid%3Dafc5f20427824a43%26second%3D5%26itag%3Dw3 20%26urlcreated%3D1146278272%26sigh%3DixcRXaNU9mNL omK2nXP_foBmBwI&playerId=6655593846731088487

Last edited:
Well I don't think I should have to tell you that flying all-night freighters is right at the bottom in terms of quality to life.

I have to disagree. It may be at the bottom of your priorities. That doesn't mean it's low quality, nor desireable.

A pilot flying international freight typically leaves home for 17 days at a time, with one commute out, and one commute back. Not a commute twice every three days. The pilot flying that back of the clock freight is also home more, continuously. For some who like to stay up, it works great. And for a job that means one flies long, relaxing legs...not really the most objectionable nor challenging existance. One could say that some are quite happy with that life.

So far as making the captain's meals...that would depend on the crew, but I believe you'll find it to be an inaccurate notion.

I won't speak for others here, but I've done a lot of flying that others won't do for various reasons. I feel very fortunate to have had the privilege. If others don't want those assignments, what's it to me? You, or someone else might not want my life, but that does nothing to change the quality and it's meaning to me. I think the same could apply to anybody out there doing what they want to do. That you or I or anybody else believes it's a high quality of life is really meaningless and irrelevant. Don't be too quick to condemn.

I have to disagree. It may be at the bottom of your priorities. That doesn't mean it's low quality, nor desireable.

A pilot flying international freight typically leaves home for 17 days at a time, with one commute out, and one commute back. Not a commute twice every three days. The pilot flying that back of the clock freight is also home more, continuously. For some who like to stay up, it works great. And for a job that means one flies long, relaxing legs...not really the most objectionable nor challenging existance. One could say that some are quite happy with that life.

So far as making the captain's meals...that would depend on the crew, but I believe you'll find it to be an inaccurate notion.

I won't speak for others here, but I've done a lot of flying that others won't do for various reasons. I feel very fortunate to have had the privilege. If others don't want those assignments, what's it to me? You, or someone else might not want my life, but that does nothing to change the quality and it's meaning to me. I think the same could apply to anybody out there doing what they want to do. That you or I or anybody else believes it's a high quality of life is really meaningless and irrelevant. Don't be too quick to condemn.

Avbug: As always, you comments are worth reading and considering.

I have flown all-night freighters ORD to the coast and back and other similar freighter schedules. We always joked that we had every day off, but in reality, it was a horrible schedule and was only something I was forced into because of juniority. Of 300 pilots the freighters were the schedules that the bottom man was forced to fly. Even reserve was a higher level.

On that trip, while it wasn't mandated, it seems the junior crewmember usually volunteered to get the coffee, heat up the meals and serve them too. He/she was never asked or ordered to do so; it was just something that the junior guy did, especially if this was a crew with a F/E.

Of course, the fact is that while we made the best of this situation, these schedules were horrible compared to doing the same thing with a 10AM departure and a FA to serve the crew. And that was proven by the juniority of the crews flying those trips.

Sometime later I had occasion to use the off-line jump seat on a freighter from LOU to Tampa. I was shocked at the whole quasi-military style of the operation. The crews were great but the whole aspect of the all-night flying, the heavy security everywhere, no jetways, no passengers, no flight attendants, was definitely not something that was desirable by comparison to passenger flying. In some ways all-night flying can be what someone wants because of the money saved by not having to hire a sitter for your kid or whatever, but for the same trip, all night freighters are not desirable flying by any comparison.

A 14-day international trip probably is not too much different because your body is so confused it doesn't know what day it is much less what time it is. But again, by comparison, having F/A's to talk with from time to time, to be served drinks and meals and to consider what the crew is doing on the L/O's brings additional quality to the work.

I fully realize that the UPS and FedEx crews are now the highest paid crews, but my opinion is that they earn it. It's a difficult life for those crews by comparison. Is it worth it? For the same money, no, but because of the money, it's now become a much better job than it was. It's the money that has equalized the jobs somewhat.

Of course, the whole topic of this thread is ERAU. And Highsky thinks that he has the greatest job because he is an ERAU graduate. He brags because he flies freighters, as if that is something that I and others would envy. Well you can see that I certainly have no envy for anyone who does that job. If they want it; fine, but it’s all a trade-off.

And one big disadvantage at UPS and FedEx, someone correct me if I’m wrong here, but the age 60/65 change hits particularly hard at those airlines. While there may be as much as 5-years of stagnation at other airlines, UPS and Fed Ex will have to endure that longer. That’s because those 60 plus pilots who bid the F/E seat will be coming back. That will add a couple of years to the stagnation I would think.

Last edited:
Point of clarification

Just for clarification regarding ERAU (both Prescott and Daytona Beach), I do think they are both fine schools and the graduates I've met from there are all no problem to me or anyone else, even Highsky with his attitude. I have no problem with Highsky except that he seems to think ERAU and his education from that school got him to where he is today. That is probably true to a point, but my point is that other schools and other majors would just as likely have given him the same result and for far less money, in fact, half the money or even less than half for UND.

Certainly the USAFA would have been a better choice all around if Highsky could have been admitted, after all it's free. Since Highsky wanted to go in the USAF as a pilot anyway, it was kind of dumb to spend all that money on ERAU when it wasn't necessary. He could have been admitted to any one of the military academies from what he says about himself and gotten just as good an education plus free (and much better) flight training.

Other schools like UND, Daniel Webster, Western Michigan, SIU, Purdue, U of I. etc could all do the job too, certainly just as well as ERAU. There is just nothing special about ERAU except in Highsky’s head. An ERAU graduate does not get any special advantages for employment anywhere, in private or public service.

Last edited:
I attended the Air Force Academy but received a medical discharge after an injury caused me to have nerve damage in my left shoulder.

I then went to Riddle and received an Aeronautical Science degree. I wouldn't trade it for anything. My Riddle education has always been looked upon positively in every interview I've had.

I honestly do believe it sets you apart from someone who went to another college and did flight training on the side, just as attending a military academy sets you apart from someone who attended a civilian institution.

I can't complain about how my education and career progression has occured. If I had to do it the same way all over again, I would.

I honestly do believe (ERAU) sets you apart from someone who went to another college and did flight training on the side, just as attending a military academy sets you apart from someone who attended a civilian institution.
No doubt you are correct about any of the military academies, but ERAU is no different than UND, U of I, Western Michigan or SIU with regard to a pilot applying to an airline. And since Embry Riddle is know as an expensive school, the perception is that it's just a bunch of rich kids who go to school in Florida to get some sun and beach time.

Last edited:
Highsky: You really are a piece of work and a disgrace to ERAU, that is certain. You can not even make a reasonable post without profanity. (Ref: your post #30.) Is that not a disgrace to ERAU, and to the USAF? Aren't you an officer? Yet your language is that of a vulgar uneducated person. That does qualify you as a disgrace and an embarrassment, does it not? What do you think the Director of the ERAU Aviation program would say if he saw the type of language you use, or how about your CO? What would he say?

Funny, isn't that attitude all over this forum? Airline guys, Military guys, UND, GA, whatever... There are very few on here that actually post good info without being disrespectful or arrogant.

I too attended Riddle and I am happy that I did. A school is only as good as the graduates it produces. Because you attend a certain school doesn't mean you are any better than anyone else. I also love to hear that "stupid aviation degree" comment. There are more guys who cause arguments or make comments about
Riddle guys than Riddle guys themselves make to or about others. It’s all silly, stupid and ridiculous. There are just as many a@@'s from other places in this industry. Wouldn't you agree? It comes down to the person, not the school.

At the time I enrolled it actually was very competitive to get it. I know many people who didn't get it and than bad mouthed the school.

The comment about warm bodies is a bit ignorant. How about ALL the regional’s hiring at 250-500 hours (minus a few)? I think everyone in this business is looking for a warm body. It’s a pilot shortage!

Everyone needs to do what they think is best for them. If going to an FBO is it, then go for it! If going to Riddle is it, great for them. Life is full of options, pick what is best for you and let others do the same.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back