• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embraer Headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just bought the Mach 1 in the link above. It is supposed to arrive in a couple of days. The lightSPEED Mach 1 headset provides 29dB of noise reduction. The David Clarks that my company provides are only 23dB. My old Telex ANR 500 was only 24db when I have a good battery in the module. So you should have plenty of noise reduction. It only weighs 1 ounce. I don’t see how you can go wrong with this headset. Sounds like a winner to me. I will try to reply again in a week or two when I get a chance to use mine in the ERJ.

I used to have the Telex ANR 500. It worked great in the CRJ. Most of the time we took our headsets off out of FL180 anyway.
The problem in the ERJ is that the Telex 500 picks up a LOT of the wind noise through the mic when the intercom is selected on. I have tried other headsets and most of them did not relay this loud noise when the hot mic was on.

Captain X said:
The point is to think about what that last few minutes of the CVR would sound like to your family and passenger's loved ones.
A
s far as the music thing in the cockpit, some people on here are just too simple minded. The "cable" that people speak of started out as a cable that allowed you to hook up your music listening device to the intercom and listen to a little elevator music during cruise. BIG deal. But then the CVR issue arouse so many decided to opt for the new "cable" that allows you to listen to your crappy elevator music ONLY on YOUR headset and NOTHING is heard by the other pilot or the CVR. The MACH 1 allows you to plug your cell phone or music device directly into the headset without this “cable” so that you can have a little peaceful music on in the back ground to drown out some of that god awful wind noise the ERJ on those 3 hour legs. If something very important comes up I am sure the person would then turn the music off and deal with the problem, at least I would. If you were listening to the "big game" over the ADF and had an emergency would you just leave it on all the way down or turn it off and deal with the problem?

I don't see why listening to a little music during non sterile times is a problem. These new headsets allow you to hook your CD player or MP3 player directly to the headset for that reason and the cable that allows you to hook up your players to the older headsets, that do not have this built in, are sold at many pilot shops. I bought mine from Sporty's.

Last edited:
SayAgain! said:
As far as the music thing in the cockpit, some people on here are just too simple minded.

Well, you have to understand that 100% of the guys that I have flown with that wanted to listen to music in the FD did not have the set up where it only went into their headset, it went throught the ICS and into both headsets and CVR. So I go with what I know.

If one wants to listen to music, fine. But I don't want it recorded on the CVR or distracting me from reading my um........manuals :D .

But the second one starts missing radio calls or reading back clearances incorrectly, then "professionalism" and "general attitude" begin to come into question regardless of whether anything is recorded on the CVR or not.

I've got lightspeeds and the interface box has a small cable that goes to an IPOD or cell phone or any other distracting device. Traffic on the radios or intercom mutes the music. This is nice but an FO who hums shuts off your music ;-)

I use the Telex Airman 750 with earplugs. Much more comfortable than the DCs for those 3 1/2 hour "regional" legs we do.

SayAgain! said:
I just bought the Mach 1 in the link above. It is supposed to arrive in a couple of days....Sounds like a winner to me. I will try to reply again in a week or two when I get a chance to use mine in the ERJ.

Please post how it works. I've been very interested in this headset. If it works well for you in the ERJ, it might be a nice early X-Mas present for me. Thanks.

I will, but it may be a couple weeks. I bought it 3 weeks ago but LightSPEED has not shipped them off to the the stores yet. I was told it should ship from Sporty's some time this coming week.

Lightspeed Mach 1

I just received the Lightspeed Mach 1 in the mail today. They were just released. I will have a chance to try them in the next day or two and will advise my findings. They are the lightest out there that I have found.....even compared to the "Clarity Aloft." If the sound quality is what they claim, it should be a good unit.

Latest resources

Back